banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever mark their settings on their pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever mark their settings on their pedals?

I had never done this before until Monday night. Finally I got tired of hunting for the magical spot for the volume knob on my plexitone and I grabbed a marker and marked it. I also marked my boost knob and tone knob. Now I turn the gain to my liking but I don't have to guess over and over again with the volume knob! It's so wonderful to not spend 5 minutes hunting for that setting everytime I set the pedal up (as I have for the past three rehearsals) or even worse, forgetting to set it and then hitting it for a solo only to find that it's SUPER-LUDICROUS-MELT-YOUR-EARS-THEN-YOUR-FACE kind of loud.

Anyone else gone this route?
    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Re: Anyone ever mark their settings on their pedals?

I've thought about it many times for the same reasons as you, but I always keep coming back to the fact that it hurts resale value. I don't tend to keep pedals for too long.

I suppose I could find a non-permanent way of marking pedals, such as tiny stickers.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I haven't ever done it on pedals, but I do it all the time on amps.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I've seen pros put a piece of masking tape on the footpedal below the knobs, with the relative pointer positions drawn on it. If you change settings, change the tape.

Comment

I cut colored tape into little slivers and mark my settings that way.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yeah, I do it with little wedge shapes cut out of black electrical tape.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I take pictures of my settings with my phone, then I don't have to guess, I just pull up the picture and set the knobs. I do this with my amp and my pedals.
              Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                I take pictures of my settings with my phone, then I don't have to guess, I just pull up the picture and set the knobs. I do this with my amp and my pedals.
                Well Done..!!!
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                  I've done that as well.

Comment

I've also taken photos of some of my pedal settings via my cellphone...
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I draw a diagram of all my settings and just carry it in a book with me. I also found the sweet spot on my amp and was so excited about it. It took me about 3 weeks to really dial it in perfect how I wanted it. Sadly my bass player walked by my amp one practice and just rolled every knob back to 0 I wanted to punch him in the throat but I couldn't stop laughing. Now I always try to diagram where my settings are.

Comment

I do it to all of my pedals because I've had knobs get turned by accident before. Some of my pedals get different setting depending on what I'm playing so I use different markings for the different settings. As far as not wanting to leave marks on a pedal with a marker when you're looking to sell them, you can use a marker to remove the old marker marks. Just scrub with a little bit of rubbing alcohal as soon as you get the old marks wet again.
                        Good trades/deals with Dominus, Rich#6, Lazyfingers, SAVAGE DISTORTION and ErikH.

Comment

Yeah, I put on some tape on them, but it is bad for resales, so I started using the cell phone camera. Much better.
                          My Soundclick

Comment

I got some of the low tack msking tape from the body shop. I also put o-rings under the knob so they aren't so easy to turn.
                            I want more me in my tone.

Comment

I mark my settings all the time, specially when we're playing live and we need to carry our stuff in a car or something. Usually it gets messed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X