banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd pedal help... very low gain dark boost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd pedal help... very low gain dark boost...

So when I tried the Bolin fuzz with the Mesa set a bit darker for a slight hint of breakup it sounded really amazing. I was quite in love... but I am using the Twin now. For those that don't know the Bolin is a very thin sounding fuzzy overdrive treble booster thing. hehe. It is not really lacking in low end, it just needs another pedal to fill it out. I have the Green Rhino which is a cool pedal but it is too thick sounding for it. I tried my brothers TS808 reissue and it's the same way, still too thick in the gain department so what I am looking for is something that will be able to get a very low gain darker breakup sound.

This one seems to be in the first spot now... it is more of a pedal meant to make other effects sound better but it has its own gain knob and seems pretty warm. I think it might work but before I try and pick one up is there another pedal that will serve me better?

Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Odd pedal help... very low gain dark boost...

Tubescreamer on 0 is too much gain?

I would try that Pork Loin.... lower gain OD, and one of the internal trim pots sets the balance between the OD and clean boost so you could theoretically dial in just a hint of background OD.

I love that pedal and it's stupid that I don't own one yet. I actually want 2 so I can leave one plugged into my bass rig...
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

You have the wrong fuzz my man...

The Sam Ash fuzz is a GREAT fuzz but into a dead clean BF amp it's too thin...

The AnalogMan version "corrects" that issue by tweaking the tone control so that might be an option or maybe a different fuzz all together but if you have to run a pedal to get the first pedal to sound right you need a different first pedal.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        Tubescreamer on 0 is too much gain?

I would try that Pork Loin.... lower gain OD, and one of the internal trim pots sets the balance between the OD and clean boost so you could theoretically dial in just a hint of background OD.

I love that pedal and it's stupid that I don't own one yet. I actually want 2 so I can leave one plugged into my bass rig...
        Yeah, the TS on zero is too much. They add a thickness to the sound I don't really like.

I owned a Pork Loin and while it is an awesome pedal, I don't know if it would work in this situation, I don't know if it would be warm enough.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          You have the wrong fuzz my man...

The Sam Ash fuzz is a GREAT fuzz but into a dead clean BF amp it's too thin...

The AnalogMan version "corrects" that issue by tweaking the tone control so that might be an option or maybe a different fuzz all together but if you have to run a pedal to get the first pedal to sound right you need a different first pedal.
          Maybe... I like the sound of it now though through the TS, I just think it is too thick when they are together. Hopefully I can find something at a lower gain level that will warm it up a bit. If not, I will probably go with a low gain silicon fuzz face like I said before or an astrotone.

Comment

It's not too much gain on the TS is the fact that you are over driving an op amp based OD pedal with a hard clipped fuzz box...

If you want to run the fuzz into something to warm it up get a Voodoo Lab Giggity but I still think at the end of the day you have the wrong pedal.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Comment

EQ pedal?

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                  EQ pedal?
                  He needs a little grit too so simulate a slightly broken up amp.

That's why I suggested the Giggity...powerful EQ like qualities plus a little analog dirt to go with it.

Comment

I like the OCD for a dark, warm and smooth overdrive.
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I would try an EQ to get the tubes doing the work.
                      I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Not to just keep downing ideas but an EQ pedal isn't going to provide any gain in terms of grit and it'snot going to push a Twin reverb to clip until it's ear shattering loud...

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                          Not to just keep downing ideas but an EQ pedal isn't going to provide any gain in terms of grit and it'snot going to push a Twin reverb to clip until it's ear shattering loud...
                          I meant in addition to his fuzz pedal.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Just trade me that Green Rhino for the SHO clone, lol......

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                              Maybe... I like the sound of it now though through the TS, I just think it is too thick when they are together. Hopefully I can find something at a lower gain level that will warm it up a bit. If not, I will probably go with a low gain silicon fuzz face like I said before or an astrotone.
                              fuzz face!
                              i'm with christian on the "wrong fuzz for the job" thing about the sam ash.
                              There is no point trying to fit a square peg into a round hole...regardless of if its the nicest square peg made of the finest wood and finished in the the finest lacquer.
                              Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X