LP Tweed Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP Tweed Twin

What do you think of a Fender Low Power Tweed Twin with 2 Jensen P12N No Bell speakers, Green amp jewel, Tweed cover, and Fender Style Old Brown Grill Cloth, JJ 5751, 5881, & 5U4 tubes?

What do you prefer in your tweed twin a 5751, 12ay7, or 12ax7 and why?
    Any mods to the circuit that you recommend doing?
    Last edited by staybobo; 02-14-2013, 06:59 PM.

Re: LP Tweed Twin

I tend to like my tweeds fairly stock...

Which low power Twin are you interested in?

The Twin went through several changes during the 2 power tube days...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

...this guy again?
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

The 5C8 Circuit with the 5881 and 5U4G tubes.

Comment

LP Tweed Twin

12AY7

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by staybobo View Post
            The 5C8 Circuit with the 5881 and 5U4G tubes.
            Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
            12AY7
            Well, staybobo this makes me wonder if you are just picking numbers out of thin air...the 5c8 Twin is a VERY old school design...about 18-20 watts grid leak bvias front end, very low gain and very low treble content but a cool amp if you can find one!

As for Mr Scott_F's suggestion I am a little worried...you'd think an amp builder would know that the 5C8 Twin amp uses a 6SC7 front end which is not even a 9 pin tube so the suggestion of a 12AY7 is a little worrisome.

The wide panel tweed Twin amps are neat but not what most folks are expecting when they plug into a tweed...

Make sure you know what your dreaming of before you get in too deep.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Read this and my other post in the 18 watt champ thread...

Comment

LP Tweed Twin Info
                Tubes
                •Pre amp: 5C8: 3 x 5751.
                •Power: 5C8: 2 x 5881
                Bias: Cathode Biased
                Rectifier: 5C8: 5U4G

What do you think of this set of tubes in the 5C8 LP Tweed Twin?
                Last edited by staybobo; 02-15-2013, 01:42 AM.

Comment

I reckon it would be better with a 2x12 germanium transformer and a 10" neutron flux capacitor in the negative feedback loop.

Comment

Look right here...

2 6SC7's one for each channel input stage, a 6SC7 driver tube and an octal 6J5 pentode mixer tube...

No 9 pin tubes at all to be found...

Comment

Where can I find modern tubes for the 5C8 Circuit?
                      Last edited by staybobo; 02-15-2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                        I tend to like my tweeds fairly stock...

Which low power Twin are you interested in?

The Twin went through several changes during the 2 power tube days...
                        Well I like the sounds of this one but to get it to sound good you really have to crank it ive heard. The guy doing the demo said he had to use earplugs.
                        Originally posted by KBliss
                        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                        Originally posted by trevorus
                        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Which circuit is easier to build the 5D8 or the 5E8 LP Tweed Twin with 2 Jensen P12Ns, Tubes Pre-amp: JJ 5751, Power: Tung-Sol 5881, Rectifier: JJ 5Y3S, & Phase Inverter JJ 12AX7.

Comment

Has to be JJ's with Sovteks it would be too difficult to build
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by staybobo View Post
                              Where can I find modern tubes for the 5C8 Circuit?
                              You can't...those tubes are a major part of that amps sound, you can do a 5D8 Twin which uses 12AY7's but it does sound differently...

Comment

Working...
                              X