Ethos Overdrive Direct Demo. No Amp. Country Guitar Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethos Overdrive Direct Demo. No Amp. Country Guitar Content

Hey all. More than anything this is to showcase the DIRECT OUT on the Ethos OD pedal.
    No amp was used, no pedals, just the Ethos. 100% Analog Circuit.

Sorry, not too much gain (this pedal really shines for OD) but it is very amp-like direct and it is hard to get a 'slightly' edgy tone to sound good direct.
    I use Wampler pedals live and this gets pretty close for recording without an amp. Rob makes excellent products.

There are plenty of demos of the Ethos in higher gain settings, but few (or none) with my tonal needs. So I hope this helps others.
    My setting are on the pic in the video.

Cheers and much respect!

Rodney Gene, Austin Texas

Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Re: Ethos Overdrive Direct Demo. No Amp. Country Guitar Content

Great tone, great chops!

Comment

a friend of mine came to stay a week or so back. Hes a jazz nazi, but hes got one of these for direct to the PA. We played with it to see how it sounds into a fender twin as a kind of overdirive pedal rather than as a direct thing. It was pretty damn good. Felt really nice.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Dude, I love your playing. And I'm not even into the whole country chicken-pickin' thing. Like...at all. Your stuff always has a real nice bounce to it, though.

Nice tones, too.

By the way, what kind of neck pickup is that in your Tele?
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Al.C View Post
          Great tone, great chops!
          Thank You!

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          a friend of mine came to stay a week or so back. Hes a jazz nazi, but hes got one of these for direct to the PA. We played with it to see how it sounds into a fender twin as a kind of overdirive pedal rather than as a direct thing. It was pretty damn good. Felt really nice.
          Thanks. Yes alot of Jazz heads are into this Pedal. Its gets that SS Jazz tone that is sought after and it gets it direct as well. In front of a tube amp, the clean channel gets the SS sound plus the sparkle of the tubes. Excellent for bass direct also. Using the Fractal AXE FX for direct tones for guitar also.

Originally posted by Kam View Post
          Dude, I love your playing. And I'm not even into the whole country chicken-pickin' thing. Like...at all. Your stuff always has a real nice bounce to it, though.

Nice tones, too.

By the way, what kind of neck pickup is that in your Tele?
          Thanks bro! Neck pickup is a Lollar Charlie Christian. My amp tones are certainly a notch above this, but these are really acceptable tones for direct. No 'digital' sizzle overtones.

Much Respect!

Rodney Gene
          Last edited by Rodney Gene; 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM. Reason: Fixed YT Link

Comment

Cool clip. My kinda player too......rock at heart with a good dosage of country licks up yer sleeve.

Those are the two Wamplers I've considered. So if you had to keep only one Wampler, would it be the Ecstasy/Euphoria or the Paisley Drive?
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              Cool clip. My kinda player too......rock at heart with a good dosage of country licks up yer sleeve.

Those are the two Wamplers I've considered. So if you had to keep only one Wampler, would it be the Ecstasy/Euphoria or the Paisley Drive?
              Thank you Bro! Appreciate it.

Ecstasy. No question. Case closed. It does it all IMO (gets that Paisley / TS9 tone also IMO) I like them stacked myself but I would be just as content with 2 Ecstasy pedals.
              I can't say enough good things about Brians pedals.

Cheers! Much Respect,

Rodney Gene

Comment

That was kick butt!

That pedal looks enormous!
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Dude, right on!

I love your playing. Pretty smooth for an 'unoriented' player.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                    That was kick butt!

That pedal looks enormous!
                    Ha. It is. It is a good thing I have good friends who come to gigs with me and coordinate when to jump on the foot buttons.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                    Dude, right on!

I love your playing. Pretty smooth for an 'unoriented' player.
                    Thanks for the good words bro! Familiar grooves are one thing, however one of my teachers here in Austin (Redd Volkaert) is the real deal so I know what the benchmark for great playing and knowledge looks like up close.

Cheers and Much Respect!
                    Last edited by Rodney Gene; 03-02-2013, 11:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Well keep on rockin' bro.

Glad to have ya around these parts.

Comment

If the Ethos had sounded that good when I had one, I would have kept it Great playing! Does yours have the TLE mod? When I ordered mine when they first came out I never ordered that (they didn't have the mod at the time) and the lowend never sounded quite right to me stock, but I never used it direct... just as an overdrive pedal through a clean amp.
                        Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                        Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Better is often the enemy of good
                        Originally posted by ginormous
                        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

always a treat to watch you play

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                            If the Ethos had sounded that good when I had one, I would have kept it Great playing! Does yours have the TLE mod? When I ordered mine when they first came out I never ordered that (they didn't have the mod at the time) and the lowend never sounded quite right to me stock, but I never used it direct... just as an overdrive pedal through a clean amp.
                            Thanks. Yes I bought the TLE switch MOD (an extra $50) because I didn't know what was what and wanted to hear both. I would leave it on TLE permanently or buy the TLE version now that I know. As for OD tone, I understand. I keep in mind that it is an 'amp' pedal, so it doesn't give you the same dynamics and 'on top of/in front of your amp' response as most OD pedals. It is essentially 2 AMP channels in a box. For me I have to approach it like an amp or like stacking 2 amps which can be cool but also means I have to change settings on my amp naturally. On this demo, Presence and Bass are maxed but that is because my volume knob was rolled down to decrease the gain and give me that smooth snap but then it loses thickness and bite with 250k pots. It is not plug and play like a POD for me. For me anyway I had to work at getting the right tone, but it is worth it in the end. Once I know the pedal better it will be easier It has lots of options for tonal structure.

Originally posted by DankStar
                            always a treat to watch you play
                            Thanks Bro. Great compliment~ Appreciate it.

Much Respect,

Rodney Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                              Hey all. More than anything this is to showcase the DIRECT OUT on the Ethos OD pedal.
                              No amp was used, no pedals, just the Ethos. 100% Analog Circuit.

Sorry, not too much gain (this pedal really shines for OD) but it is very amp-like direct and it is hard to get a 'slightly' edgy tone to sound good direct.
                              I use Wampler pedals live and this gets pretty close for recording without an amp. Rob makes excellent products.

There are plenty of demos of the Ethos in higher gain settings, but few (or none) with my tonal needs. So I hope this helps others.
                              My setting are on the pic in the video.

Cheers and much respect!

Rodney Gene, Austin Texas

Cant play the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X