Is This a Deal? Bass Cab Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a Deal? Bass Cab Edition

Our bass player is currently borrowing the 6x10 cab he uses from a long time friend of the band. Said friend started up his own band, and because he's jealous of our new found success, may take the cab back at any point. So, we're on the hunt for a bass cab. No less than 6 speakers, and must be cheap (but not low quality).

So I stumble on this today and I think I found the holy grail. Ampeg, 8 ten inch speakers, plywood instead of particle board (which I've grown out of love with after part of my particle board baffle on my 68 Fender 2x12 corroded) and looks to be in decent shape. So is this cab worth the price? Is it worth more than that? Looking around my local CL, it's definitely the cheapest 8x10 cab there. Is there a reason for that? Crappy drivers, maybe? Although those can always be replaced down the road if the cab is good enough...

Anyway, is this worth buying?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Is This a Deal? Bass Cab Edition

Having been a bassist myself, buying a large cab (2x10 + 1x15 in the same cab) was the biggest mistake I ever made. Tell him if he absolutely must have that many speakers he should look into separate cabs that he can run together.

You know how many Ampeg 810's there are out there used because dummies like us bought them and then realized how terrible they are afterward?
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Re: Is This a Deal? Bass Cab Edition

Ok, indulge me - what's bad about 8x10 cabs? He uses a 6x10 now and it sounds ****in' incredible.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Working...
      X