Tell me what I want!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me what I want!!!!

So I want a new amp. A good one. But the problem is I don't know what I want. That's where you come in. I'll mainly be playing thrash, Metallica type stuff, but I also some heavier stuff going from Black Sabbath all the way to Alice In Chains. I've been eyeballing a Blackstar Series One 6l6 head, but now I'm not sure if that it what I want. Mark V? Marshall JVM? Or how bout a 5150/6505 thrown in there for good measure? Anyway, tell me what I want. Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated.
    Last edited by EET_FUK; 02-25-2013, 01:43 AM.

Re: Tell me what I want!!!!

It's also worth noting that I play about 99.99999999% rhythm so an amazing lead voice isn't something I'm too concerned about.

Comment

Price range?
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Have you looked into the Orange Thunderverb 50 ?

One day, i will have one . . . mark my words.

Stil by far thee best demo on the internet of this great amp.

IMHO, this amp can most deff do Sabbath (so much 'better' than any Laney i know of imho), AIC and so much more than just those bands.
          Seeing that the amp had a massive BIG bass amp trannie, this thing can go real ((( L O W )))
          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Threads like this are kinda like asking a group of strangers what your favorite flavor of ice cream is.

We're gona go on and on about the ones we like and why we like them, but you won't know for yourself until you try 'em out man.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              Threads like this are kinda like asking a group of strangers what your favorite flavor of ice cream is.

We're gona go on and on about the ones we like and why we like them, but you won't know for yourself until you try 'em out man.
              His fav flav is Caramel, he just don't know it yet
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

I'd say JVM or 6505/5150, but yeah, you gotta try em all out and see which one you like the best.

Comment

Check this thread and the associated video out... it may help you with a decision.

Comment

mesa dual rectifier

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post

^^^Yep...100% in agreement

Comment

You remember Rube Goldberg? He could link together and endless succession of things and make it allwork. Well I was having trouble finding the amp I wanted. Most of the retain stores cannot give you much advice on anything musical that you might buy. To them a $100 Korean guitar is the same as a Taylor. It is all one giant "biomass" and allof it is the same. Guitar strings? They all know D'Addario name. What about Martin? (no) What about phosphur brionze? (what?) What about coated Elixirs? (never heard of it). So imagine when you ask about amps .. well you plug it in the wall and then plug in a guitar and play. That's ALL they know about it. And the sound the lke is crunch-metal-rock as loud as you can get it (like for Irvine Meadows). Tube amps? (no, never saw one in a tube..) Well I bought (I discovered) a Yamaha THR10 (very low price) and it does everything (beautiful amp) .. and you can run an output from the "phones" jack to almost anything including another amp (which I do) and have all the volume you want .. or as little. What to do is to adjust the ultimate output with the guitar controls a half-way. That way you can fine tune volume and tone with the guitar (that's why they are there!) and not ever touch them amp. It is a fantastic solution for ANY kind of amplified need. Light and portable and unbelievable. NOBODY AT THE GUITAR center knows about it (even though they have them) They just do not take an interest. Yamaha (excellent quality) THR10 .. you will love this amp. (and the price)

Comment

I guess I should have worded this a bit differently. How bout "What do you prefer and why?"

Comment

What you really really want?
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by EET_FUK View Post
                              I guess I should have worded this a bit differently. How bout "What do you prefer and why?"

Ahhhh, OK, well, in that case :

1) Electric MVU

2) Orange Retro 50

3) Orange Thunderverb 50

4) Soldano SLO

5) Matamp GT1

Comment

Working...
                              X