Digitech Whammy - your thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech Whammy - your thoughts please

The missing link in my effects rig seems to be harmony/pitch bending, so naturally I'm looking at the Whammy. Questions for you guys:

- which generation(s) do you have experience with?

- if you own one, what do you primarily use it for?

- How do you power it? Will it work off the high current line on a PP2+, for example?

- Where do you put it in your effects chain (before or after gain pedals, in the loop, and so on)?

- Any issues/complaints?

Thanks!
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Re: Digitech Whammy - your thoughts please

I had one for a few years a long time ago. It was the big bright red one. I think it was a reissue or something.

Anyway, the best thing it did was the harmonizer function. That was pretty neat, especially on simple chords and octaves.

The whammy function sucked. I hated the way it added a tiny bit of latency to everything you played when engaged, even if you had the expression pedal rocked all the way back to normal pitch.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
      I had one for a few years a long time ago. It was the big bright red one. I think it was a reissue or something.

Anyway, the best thing it did was the harmonizer function. That was pretty neat, especially on simple chords and octaves.

The whammy function sucked. I hated the way it added a tiny bit of latency to everything you played when engaged, even if you had the expression pedal rocked all the way back to normal pitch.
      Interesting. Latency would suck. I wonder if that's improved on newer models.

How was the tracking for the harmonizer? The harmony modes on my M5 seem to only track well when I'm on the higher frets.

Comment

I have the Whammy II and I love it. I only ever use the pitch bending and the chorus function on it; the harmoniser is cool but not something I've really messed around with. I keep meaning to have a better crack at it, actually. I've never noticed any latency when using the treadle.

I have mine second only to my volume pedal in my chain, running into the front end of my amp.

It's a really cool pedal, but there's definitely a learning curve with it. Mine was stolen almost four years ago and I only got it back a couple of months ago. It's only recently that I've been discovering how to use it in a musical way.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I have the Whammy IV. I like to pitch bend single notes with the +2 octave setting. It's pretty cool for single note stuff, but tracks like absolute garbage when used with chords.

You can't power it off of the high current line of the PP2+. I just have mine plugged into the accessory outlet of my PP2+.
          Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
          I dig the wood!

Comment

I've been interested in the Whammy V lately... I understand it's true bypass, has a smaller footprint than the IV, and can be powered off a standard 9VDC wall wart or a pedal power unit. It also tracks chords without glitching now (although there is a Classic Mode switch that will purposely make it glitchy if you like that, ya filthy animal).

As to latency issues - haven't played it, can't say. But those four improvements alone would be worth going for the new one, I think.

I had one of the originals and while the size, latency and power needs made it a bit of a PITA it was a fun pedal for getting imitation synthy sounds. And the detune made for a cool chorus.

Comment

One of my favorite pedals is the Boss Harmonist. It's loaded with fun stuff like a faux pipe organ sound I use it for a lot, has pitch bending effects that mimic a Whammy(add expression pedal), and it's like an old Eventide Harmonizer rack piece in a pedal format.

Find one used if you can. But it's even worth the retail price. And it'll look good next to your TC Flashback X4.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I have one.
                It has it's own power supply, so not need to worry about hat.
                I use it for my White Stripes type of tone bendings or when i really want to freek out, ala, Acid Mothers Temple style.

I would love to try the brand new big one :

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                  I have one.
                  It has it's own power supply, so not need to worry about hat.
                  I use it for my White Stripes type of tone bendings or when i really want to freek out, ala, Acid Mothers Temple style.

I would love to try the brand new big one :

i have the brand new one and i love it. i use the pitch shifting more than the whammy effects. i tune to D Standard but can jam with anyone who tunes to E Standard without having to retune my guitar. i just tap the switch and i go from D to E. if i want to write a heavier sounding song i can tap the switch and down tune to C Standard or whatever tuning i decide to use. i write the songs for the band i'm in and i use 3 different tunings when writing. i can play all the songs with the same guitar and just let the whammy pedal tune me up or down with no latency. i got lucky with this one because i got it for $125 off craigslist.

Comment

I had (have) one but it's really messed up and glitchy (last on the lower right). I think it's a Whammy II..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedals_with_Whammy_II_Natural.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	5765289

I used and abused it for well over a decade and it held up pretty well considering..lol.

Always had it first in my chain, before my distortion pedal.

I recently got a Mooer Pitch box and it sounds way cleaner/more realistic/less digital than my old Whammy did. There's no bending on the go but otherwise it's great for pitch-shifted/harmonized tones...

I'm thinking of picking this up as well..

Click image for larger version

Name:	pitch-bender-pedal-EC417-19.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	5765290
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I have tried them all at this point save for the V and DT and used to have a WH1 and a WH2, now I only have a WH1.

I almost never use it but it's nice to have.

You have to use the factory wall wart, it's AC powered.

If I use it I put it early in the chain but it is buffered so it will mess with some of the other stuff in my signal.

Biggest complaint...never fond a great place to use it unless I'm playing covered that feature a whammy pedalB
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I just got the new Whammy V and love it. Huge improvements over the Whammy IV.

First, it's true bypass so it goes first in my chain.

Second, very little noticeable latency. I really can't hear any.

Third, it sounds a lot more natural than the Morpheus Droptune I had, which kinda had an artificial tone to it- but if you want drop tunings, the bigger DT is better suited for that.

It doesn't color your tone as much as previous versions. Sure, there's a slightly noticeable change in tone when using it, but not enough for audiences to tell.

Overall it just seems more useable than prior versions, rather than being a gimmick.

I'm powering mine off a Voodoo Lab Iso5

Comment

Think I may pull the trigger on a 5 this week.....

Comment

I've been looking at a whammy for years, but they all had issues in some form or another until now with the release of the V. What's not to like? It's affordable, true bypass, has standard power connections and tracks as good as the famed wh1 that cost so much. It seems like a no brainer these days
                            Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                            Originally posted by Zerberus
                            Better is often the enemy of good
                            Originally posted by ginormous
                            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                              I recently got a Mooer Pitch box and it sounds way cleaner/more realistic/less digital than my old Whammy did. There's no bending on the go but otherwise it's great for pitch-shifted/harmonized tones...

I'm thinking of picking this up as well..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39625[/ATTACH]
                              Yes, I am also interested in the Mooer. The demos I've seen are very promising.

Comment

Working...
                              X