banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender tone small practice tube amp reccomendations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender tone small practice tube amp reccomendations...

Does anyone have a small tube amp recommendation for me that has that old school clean Fender tube tone in the $200 price range? I'm talking a practice amp, maybe in the 5 watt range. I had a tweed Fender Blues Deluxe that I sold. It had great tone but was way too loud for my needs. I have an old silver face Princeton Reverb that needs new caps, and restoration work. It has more snap, crackle, and pop than a bowl of rice crispies. I like the Blues jr's but I think they are overpriced. I may end up just paying the price, unless someone knows of an option that is more fairly priced. Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: Fender tone small practice tube amp reccomendations...

Have you checked out the Fender Excelsior?
    Last edited by Psykel; 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Beat me too it !
      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Fender '65 Twin.

YOLO
        Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
        I dig the wood!

Comment

why not just get your princeton fixed up?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            +1 That's a great amp.

Comment

That may be the way to go. I have a guy that does great work on tube amps, but he's not cheap. The caps need doing for sure, and the speaker is a Carvin replacement. It's adequate, but a better speaker would do a lot for the amp. I'm sure in the end the amp repairs will cost about what I would have to spend on a small amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Psykel View Post
                Have you checked out the Fender Excelisior?
                No, I haven't seen one in a store around here yet. I will have to make it a point to try one.

Comment

Originally posted by mojosman View Post
                  That may be the way to go. I have a guy that does great work on tube amps, but he's not cheap. The caps need doing for sure, and the speaker is a Carvin replacement. It's adequate, but a better speaker would do a lot for the amp. I'm sure in the end the amp repairs will cost about what I would have to spend on a small amp.
                  any amp you find in that range will not be as good as your princeton reverb for a classic fender tone. get it repaired and see what it sounds like then maybe in the future get a different speaker but i wouldnt do anything till you get the amp running in tip top shape

Comment

No, I haven't seen one in a store around here yet. I will have to make it a point to try one.
                    I own an Excelsior and a Blues Jr. If you are looking to replace your Blues Deluxe (I've owned one also), the excelsior might not be what you are looking for. It's kind of a 1 trick pony, and although it sounds great, I would miss the control and the character of my Blues Jr if I was to revert to a single amp.
                    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

the princeton is much more than a little practice amp. they sound just okay at true bedroom volumes imo. nonetheless, for what it will cost to fix it, i don't think you'll find anything better in terms of classic fender tone in a small cab.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

And you'll wind up with something 10x better than what you'd pay for new. Get it fixed!

Comment

any amp you find in that range will not be as good as your princeton reverb for a classic fender tone. get it repaired and see what it sounds like then maybe in the future get a different speaker but i wouldnt do anything till you get the amp running in tip top shape
                          +1. Get the amp healthy first. Then save up for a Celestion Gold for the speaker and you'll have the ultimate small 6V6er IMO. Very hard to beat that amp for it's size.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            the princeton is much more than a little practice amp. they sound just okay at true bedroom volumes imo. nonetheless, for what it will cost to fix it, i don't think you'll find anything better in terms of classic fender tone in a small cab.
                            +1

Comment

Thanks everybody for the advice. I was initially thinking a newer amp would be the way to go, but I guess fixing the old amp up is the best idea. It's been sitting for too long anyway. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X