No announcement yet.

Need Help... 6L6 amp but it has EL34s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help... 6L6 amp but it has EL34s?

Hey guys, thought I would come to you with this question.

I got this used amp... it is supposed to have a pair of 6L6s in it according to the manual... but it is used and there are EL34s in it. I don't know anything about the history of this specific unit so I don't know if any mods were done, I just know it sounds GREAT. but will this damage the amp or should I look out for anything?

The amp is a mid 90s Ampeg Super Jet.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Need Help... 6L6 amp but it has EL34s?

As far as I know, EL34s have a higher plate voltage limit but also draw more heater current compared to 6L6s. Now if the power transformer does its job without overload, and the amp sounds great without power tubes redplating you should probably be safe. But take that with a grain of salt because I don't really know what I'm talking about here.

Comment

Those amps shipped with a pair of 6L6 in them, but yours may have been modified to take the EL34s. I'd take it to a tech and verify that they have been biased properly.

Good on ya for getting an Ampeg. Those mid '90s models are really cool, even though they sound nothing at all like a '60s Peg. If you ever sell, I'd like first dibs...
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

The amp came stock with 6L6's...in 90+% of situations a 6L6 amp will need to be modded to run EL34's but it's very easy and common.

The thing to keep in mind is heater current...6L6's draw a little less than an amp, EL34's draw just at 1.5 amps....if the power transformer can handle that it's all good, if they can not it will run for a little while then will die and you will then need a new power tranny...

Best bet is to email the folks at Ampeg and see if the stock trannys can handle the extra draw...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

the seller didn't tell you that it had been modded? Or maybe they just stuck any old toobs in and didn't know what they were doing. Either way its dicy. Send it back before you are stuck with it.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

were they 6L6s or 5881s, originally?
            seems trivial, but may suggest whether it's had components changed or if someone's just decided that "if it catches fire, i'll put it out"

Comment

It'd be uncommon, but not unheard of, for that amp to have come with EL-34's. They had EL-34's when the Diamond Blue Series first came out, but Ampeg phased over to 6L6's, and at times would use EL-34's later...with no changes to the transformer specs from the beginning to the end of the model. (My '98 Reverberocket head originally had EL-34's, and I have kept it that way.) The date sticker on the board is a slight clue as to whether or not the amp had EL-34's originally – the earlier the date, the more likely it is. Not that it matters in this case, though. The two tube types are interchangeable – not in general, but in that particular amp.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X