NAD Orange TH30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD Orange TH30

I loved my Tiny Terror for playing around the house. The only thing I didn't like about it was there were times I wanted a bit more distortion and a tighter chug. I was really wanting a high gain amp that could be dialed down for that british tone but still be able to crank it for a modern metal tone. A cross between my 900 and my 5150. This delivers it and then some. I really like the tone it produces and since I haven't been able to crank my 5150 this amp has got me playing more metal now. Finger tips are a bit sore which is a good feeling.

If you are looking for a review there are plenty of good ones out there. For the money this amp is pretty cool. 30 watts, I'm sure it can blast,I'll wait for a little burn in before I do that,but being able to dial it down to 7 watts with high gain is nice. At the moment I prefer it on the 15 watt setting. Only real complaint is the clean channel is LOUD, a lot louder then the dirty. You'll have it on about half the volume of the dirty channel to get it to match. Other then that I'm happy First "new" amp in over 20 years and I got a really good deal on it. $875 shipped From http://www.crazydavesmusic.com/servlet/StoreFront nice guys who shipped it out fast.

Sorry SD but had to break out the EMG's to satisfy my high gain taste at the moment. I got to dig around and find my Baretta with the JBJ in it. I'm sure I will love the tone of that a lot more but at the moment it's the death metal chug for me

Re: NAD Orange TH30

I've had one for over a year and I still love it. Very versatile, much more than the simple control-layout leads us to believe.

I've been using it for a lot of heavier stuff but lately I've used the clean channel (pushed with an SHO from time to time) in a fairly clean project with a full-hollow guitar.

It's definitely a great amp.

congrats!

Comment

Nice! Congrats on the new amp, the TH30 is a gain machine! The disparity in clean channel volume will be down to the fact that it's non-master.

I'd really love to pick up an AD30 one of these days, actually...
      http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Comment

Sweet! Congrats, man. There's a couple of local bands rocking those and they always sound phenomenal. I'd love to pick one up, one of these days.

I bring this up every time someone posts about this amp, but can I ask how it sounds at low volumes for home practicing? Do you use it as an all-around kind of amp, or just for live use?
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

If the OP doesn't mind that I get my 0.02$ in the thread regarding Kam' question: I use mine both at home and live of course. The low-wattage setting (7W) is not quiet as one might think but it does the trick at home nonetheless. I can use it at fairly low volumes even at 30 watts but of course, it's easier to manage at 7. Like most tube amps, you'll never get the same response and richness at low-volume on the 7 watts setting but it still sounds very much like an orange to me. I've been meaning to get rid of one of my Oranges (the other being the Rocker 30) and I just can't decide. Both sound good but the TH30 has a little edge when it comes to using it at home.

Great all around for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
            If the OP doesn't mind that I get my 0.02$ in the thread regarding Kam' question: I use mine both at home and live of course. The low-wattage setting (7W) is not quiet as one might think but it does the trick at home nonetheless. I can use it at fairly low volumes even at 30 watts but of course, it's easier to manage at 7. Like most tube amps, you'll never get the same response and richness at low-volume on the 7 watts setting but it still sounds very much like an orange to me. I've been meaning to get rid of one of my Oranges (the other being the Rocker 30) and I just can't decide. Both sound good but the TH30 has a little edge when it comes to using it at home.

+1 man

One of the main reason I purchased the amp is the fact that it does go down to 7 watts and still has great tone and high gain. Then if I needed to play with a drummer, 30 watts of tube through a 4x12 is more then enough. Really just an all around good amp that is very versatile.

Comment

that is a great deal on that amp. I checked it out at the local music store and its 1300, so congrats on buying my dream amp!!

Comment

That's a great amp. Congratulations. I had a lot of fun playing one before the local music store sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vengeance View Post
                  +1 man

One of the main reason I purchased the amp is the fact that it does go down to 7 watts and still has great tone and high gain. Then if I needed to play with a drummer, 30 watts of tube through a 4x12 is more then enough. Really just an all around good amp that is very versatile.
                  Thanks for the responses, fellas.

I have an ongoing fascination with this amp, but I have neither the budget, nor the space, nor the desire to own seperate amps for home and live use.

My current amp can switch from 1 watt, five watts and 18 watts and yeah...even that single watt can get pretty loud.
                  I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I get that... I own too many heads already anyways.

For quiet home-practice, nothing beats my Killer-ant at 1w so far. It's just great.

Comment

I get that... I own too many heads already anyways.

For quiet home-practice, nothing beats my Killer-ant at 1w so far. It's just great.
                      lol this was number 7 for me. Only thing worst then my guitar addiction is my love of all things tube.

Comment

Working...
                      X