Name:	IMG_0062.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	5826921Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	5826922

Found this at a pawnshop in Jacksonville, IL. Works perfect, sounds very good. Very clean. All tube 50 watts RMS. Is $130 a good deal? I hope it's at least ok, 'cause I bought it!

-dave

The green looking patch in the middle of the back is a decal from where it was sold.
    Last edited by darnright; 03-09-2013, 11:57 PM.
    I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Re: Peavey Valve King 1X12

I'd call that a good deal. I had one and loved it til I gave it to a friend to get him into playing again.

Comment

Heck yeah that's a deal!

Comment

New, they go for $400.

Great deal. Throw an overdrive on it and you'll get into metal territory.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I never needed an OD to get it to do metal.

Comment

They have a touch more gain than most gain junkies will ever need. A pedal isnt necessary to get there though I dare say it could help in other ways.

I bought one awhile back at guitar center for about 150 bucks. A little clean up and it was in like new condition. I took it back to GC a couple weeks later because the gain channel and me didnt get along too well. I was looking for something a little warmer while the gain on the VK was rather harsh and fizzy. I didnt have an OD pedal to try. A new speaker could have also helped.

Comment

It's pretty killer that you can walk into a store and buy a tube amp that is more than capable of great sounds for a buck thirty.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Valve Kings seem like the budget way to huge wattage tube amps... seeing as how they cost like 5-10 watters.

There's some dude in my area selling a VK head with a solidstate ibanez halfstack thrown in as a sweetener (or for sh*ts and giggles maybe), for just south of 300 - you guys think it's a good buy?? PS I got a proper cab, that Ibanez thing would probably go off to take a beating from running bass through it.
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

These days $130 doesn't even buy a pedal that comes with bragging rights. Killer deal for a great amp. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                    I never needed an OD to get it to do metal.
                    Our definitions of metal may be slightly different.

Originally posted by Ball&Chain View Post
                    They have a touch more gain than most gain junkies will ever need. A pedal isnt necessary to get there though I dare say it could help in other ways.
                    Our definitions of gain may be slightly different.

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

There's some dude in my area selling a VK head with a solidstate ibanez halfstack thrown in as a sweetener (or for sh*ts and giggles maybe), for just south of 300 - you guys think it's a good buy?? PS I got a proper cab, that Ibanez thing would probably go off to take a beating from running bass through it.
                    If it's the TBX150 head, those are awesome. Way more gain than the VK will have. *If* you're looking for high gain sounds and you know how to tweak an amp and aren't part of the "tubes or nothing" crowd, you might like it. If anything, the two heads plus cab are worth way more than $300 if you end up selling off each piece separately.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by BEACHBUM View Post
                      These days $130 doesn't even buy a pedal that comes with bragging rights. Killer deal for a great amp. Congrats.
                      Sure it does.

Japanese 80s TubeScreamer clone (rebranded, same 4558 chip) - $27, guitar center. Yesterday

...but yeah, definitely congrats-worthy there. I'd thought I ruled when I got an Epi Valve Special for $125, but a PV ValveKing is something on an entirely nother scale.... COOL!
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post

If it's the TBX150 head, those are awesome. Way more gain than the VK will have. *If* you're looking for high gain sounds and you know how to tweak an amp and aren't part of the "tubes or nothing" crowd, you might like it. If anything, the two heads plus cab are worth way more than $300 if you end up selling off each piece separately.
                        I see what you're saying about an OD. I got some fairly brootal toanz (lol) out of mine but yeah, I know you guys don't exactly max out the pre gain and then nail it with a maxed out OD. It's more of a tone shaping thing. I used to run a Boss OD-2 in front of my Framus Dragon to take out some of the low mids and add some bite.

Comment

Those valvekings actually sound pretty great for the price and $130 is even cheaper than you normally see them..... I would have grabbed it! Nice score.
                          Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                          Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post

Probably not.

This is my definition of High Gain. A 1x12 valveking may not have the thunk in the bottom end, but as far as saturation goes, it would do this with the boost engaged. I could get there at fairly low volume even, though it didn't sound all that great at any volume.

Comment

Working...
                            X