No announcement yet.

reamp test (radial rmp & scarlett 2i2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reamp test (radial rmp & scarlett 2i2)

Got the radial rmp today (dude accidentally stiffed me on the shipping - had to pay like $4 to the postwoman!)

Did a quick test where I recorded 2 dry guitars using the scarlett 2i2 and an ART tube mp (not my first choice, but the only "DI box" I have laying around with a level control so I could prevent going in the red on the interface input - stupid thing is so sensitive).

Took those tracks and sent them out the back of the scarlett, into the reamp box, and into my JTM30 - sounded better with a pedal so I used an MXR classic OD in front. Had to dime the monitor on the scarlett and the reamp box. Kinda sounded good when the track level was cranked up nearly to the max too, but that seemed odd to do that and it added more noise so I kept it around zero gain. Left the mic in the same spot for both.

Not too shabby for a test, but a bit noisy (evident when guitar isn't playing). I think the ART is adding most of the noise. Need to figure out how to to the initial guitars w/quieter option. Got a few tricks up my sleeve.

Last edited by DankStar; 03-11-2013, 10:24 PM.

Re: reamp test (radial rmp & scarlett 2i2)

Sounds good man! Reminds me of a sort of Kill 'Em All tone.

In a mix you probably wouldn't even hear that extra noise. Are you sure its from the ART and not the MXR or the amp itself?

Comment

thanks for checkin' it! (I do like the KEA tone, probably target that subconsciously)

yeah, it's probably a combination of things like you're saying:
      - cheap cables I tend to use
      - the amp is a bit noisy on its own I've noticed, even with nothing plugged in
      - the mxr did add a bit of noise to get the gain I was shooting for
      - budget interface & DI box (the two pretty crucial elements here)

But maybe the sound will work for the lil' budget recordings I do. Over time I might invest in a nice DI box, some nicer cables, high quality interface, etc. - but I'm not working on the next megadeth album here, just another goofy tune! I always automate the guitar track levels down to nothing when stuff isn't playing anyway.

Will be interesting to see what happens when I really crank the master volume on the amp come time for the real deal - probably won't need the OD then, hehe. These wall are gonna be a shakin'!
      Last edited by DankStar; 03-12-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

yeah I hear ya. You really did get a solid foundation with your setup though. keep at it!

Comment

Bookmarked.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

after a series of tests, the quietest & clearest so far is going straight into my fostex mr-8 w/out a direct box, then reamping that signal.

aside from the string noise, it ends up like so:

I also realized that I didn't need to crank the monitor level on the scarlett to the max to get where I needed to be with this method.

I think that's about as quiet as I can get things if using an OD pedal into my marshall. lower gain stuff and no pedals involved will be a lot quieter but this is about as much gain as I'd use in a typical tune.
            Last edited by DankStar; 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

When I am doing a reamp track, I like to use my GT-88; I run my guitar into the GT-88 and then run the guitar loop out and a line out into my interface. I record the loop out and use the GT-88's modeling so I can hear some kind of crunch tone.

I do not record the line output, that is just for playing reference.

I then use the DI tracks for reamping later.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

thanks twilight - I'll probably do something like that so I'm not playing heavy riffs acoustically.

I may try and capture a live mic take and a DI at the same time, I guess that'd be ideal.

Comment

Yeah, the Tube MP is such an awful thing. Throw it in the trash - it's literally good for nothing.

It's a shame, because ART makes some great stuff on the higher end of their line (Pro MPA and Pro VLA are both sweet for the price) but their cheap gear is so awful.

I use my Saffire Pro 24 as the DI - I have input 1 routed directly to output 6, which goes to my amp.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

that saffire would be nice - I need to step up my game.

the ART can only do one thing well really - it makes for a nice direct bass preamp, especially if you crank the gain into the red.

Comment

Working...
                    X