Planet Waves Tru Stobe tuner for $49

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planet Waves Tru Stobe tuner for $49

OK, I just got a Planet Waves Tru Stobe tuner for $49 ... they were $80- $90 elsewhere.

my caveat:
    check Planet Waves site or Youtube for video demos -- some have commented that they don't like the display, or the way it rotates, etc ...

I'm not using this for gigging as much as for intonating my guitars, so it's great to have a more accurate tuner for the price

cheers!
    "music heals"
    facebook

Re: Planet Waves Tru Stobe tuner for $49

Good deal!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Looks like a good deal but I have an old Boss TU12 that I use yo do setups. It's got a real needle ANC works great. On my board I have a TU2. That works fine for the stage
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Dave ... I have a bunch of tuners, including a TU12 somewhere. My favorite is a Planet Waves that came with a box of D'Addario strings. The Tru-Strobe is supposed to be much more sensitive, so I'm giving it a try ... for whatever reason, I've checked some of my guitars and the intonation has drifted a little, or was not spot on to begin with. I think most of that is change of seasons, plus I'm in a little drier climate now.

I think some people are actually thrown by the sensitivity, so it's maybe not as practical for stage. I'm picky about tuning, so I don't mind taking the time to do a good intonation as part of the set up ... once that's done, it makes a big difference, especially with chords.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Good to see you posting Gary. I like the Tru Strobe and almost bought one. I like them because of the big display and their sensitivity. I ultimately went with the Go Go Pedal Tuner, because of the huge display, orangey goodness, and since they are based out of my valley suburb.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I have one of the older model strobe tuners. It works pretty well for me. Good purchase.

Comment

Curly!
              Sweet tuner indeed!
              Nice to see you again....

Comment

thanks, Niels!

supposedly, any other strobe tuners are quite a bit more ...
                I checked my Les Paul with it, and made a few tweaks to the intonation ... had to be patient, but it's worth it ... if nothing else, I've always been picky about playing in tune!
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Any benefit in one of these over my trusty TU-12's for setting intonation?
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Well, the old needle TU-12 is accurate to +/- 1 cent...

The Planet Waves strobe is accurate to +/- .1 cent...

So year, there is an advantage for sure!

That said, Curly it's great to see ya here again a little my friend!
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks...but do you mean accuracy (i.e. the "correctness" of the measurement), or resolution (i.e. the sizes of the viewable divisions)? The TU-12 has 1 cent resolution, for sure. But either company might incorrectly identify resolution as accuracy in the sales literature. Being that I'd only be aiming for the center line, there is nothing to be gained by the extra resolution of the Planet Waves. However, if it is truly more accurate, then it would be beneficial.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-25-2013, 03:50 AM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I am talking about the actual pitch.
                        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I don't want to over state this, but ...
                          currently, a strobe tuner for $50 is a heckuva deal ... the closest thing in price is a Peterson clip-on for $70, then, as far as I know, everything is over $100

for someone like me, who likes to do their own set ups , as much as possible, then the accuracy is an advantage when you're doing the intonation, which you want to do once, then only check it occasionally after that. There is a reason strobe tuners have been the shop standard for intonation for years: accuracy!

I have a TU-12 -- it's probably my oldest pedal tuner, and it's fine for general tuning.
                          If I was gigging, I'd use the Boss TU-3, because of it's display, or maybe the TC chromatic pedal, which I haven't seen in action.

as I said, I think the accuracy of this pedal would actually be distracting for stage tuning, where you want to tune as quickly as possible

hope that clarifies things a little ...

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                          Curly it's great to see ya here again a little my friend!
                          thanks Christian!
                          "music heals"
                          facebook

Comment

Working...
                          X