Considering a speaker swap, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a speaker swap, please help

I have an Ear Candy Cabs Buzz Bomb 2 12 loaded with an Eminence Wizard and Governor. It's very mid and treble oriented and I'm thinking of swapping to a pair of Texas Heat speakers. I use a 6505 and I'm looking to even the overall sound by taming some of the high mid, treble, and fizz. Would the TH do this? I play progressive and technical metal with a lot of lead playing and shred. What say you?

Re: Considering a speaker swap, please help

I swapped out a V30 (hemp cone, recone done by Tone Tubby) for a Texas Heat and I love it. It got rid of the upper mid spike and gives a very natural, even response. I love the high headroom compared to the V30. Matches very well with the C Rex I use in that cabinet. FWIW, IMHO, I only play doom/stoner metal (as far as metal goes), so I can't say how it would work for what you're going for.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Funny enough, after watching the live stream of the Ultimate Speaker Demo, I've decided I want to get a Wizard or a Governor to replace my Greenback to go with my V30 in my closed-back 2x12. I like the complexity in the mids of Eminence speakers. Any chance you wanna trade one of yours for either a Celestion Greenback, Weber Ceramic 1230 55hz or WGS Green Beret?

Comment

Originally posted by TSE View Post
        I have an Ear Candy Cabs Buzz Bomb 2 12 loaded with an Eminence Wizard and Governor. It's very mid and treble oriented and I'm thinking of swapping to a pair of Texas Heat speakers. I use a 6505 and I'm looking to even the overall sound by taming some of the high mid, treble, and fizz. Would the TH do this? I play progressive and technical metal with a lot of lead playing and shred. What say you?
        Yes, the the Heats would tame the brightness a bit compared to whats in there now

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
          Funny enough, after watching the live stream of the Ultimate Speaker Demo, I've decided I want to get a Wizard or a Governor to replace my Greenback to go with my V30 in my closed-back 2x12. I like the complexity in the mids of Eminence speakers. Any chance you wanna trade one of yoursyours for eithereither a Celestion Greenback, Weber Ceramic 1230 55hz or WGS Green Beret?
          Not really interested in any of those, sorry. I don't think I'm really a British speaker kind of guy anyway. I'm probably going to selselll the pair I have now and use the money to buy Texas heats. I'm thinking maybe 70 dollars per shipped. They are in great condition and decently broken in if you or anyone else interested

Comment

Also consider the Swamp Thang and V12 Legend for American voiced speakers with lots of lowend punch and clarity.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Not really interested in any of those, sorry. I don't think I'm really a British speaker kind of guy anyway. I'm probably going to selselll the pair I have now and use the money to buy Texas heats. I'm thinking maybe 70 dollars per shipped. They are in great condition and decently broken in if you or anyone else interested
              OK, no problem. Just thought maybe we could help each other out. I would love to work something out, but I can't buy any more gear at the moment.

Thanks anyway!

Comment

^ Yea, sorry dood:/

Comment

I love texas heats. Fat mean and mean but smooth, and the low efficiency is good cos you can crank your amp up one extra notch.
                  However...you might want to look at swamp things too which are a bit more efficient (louder) and both more defined in the lows and clearer in the highs from the massive magnet which also makes it a bit faster- probably suited to more modern metal hi gain shreddy type sounds rather than the vintage flavoured texas heats. Either way tho....both killer sounds.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-26-2013, 06:06 PM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Same question but with a XXX 2x12 combo with E34L's in the power section. I also have a 2x12 extension cab with v30's (which are fizzy as ****). I'm thinking of going with a Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas Heat for the combo. Would they sound good at bedroom volume?

Comment

I have had the swamp and while very thick and scooped they are very loud and perhaps not the best for bedroom playing. I may go back, but I am curious about the Texas. I have the governor wizard setup because I wanted something different at the time. The mids are really intense and don't really balance with the already prominent mid of the 6505. So I'm thinking Texas would be kind of in between the governor and swamp. Ideally I would like less fizz, less upper mid and treble, more low mid, and smoother gain.

Comment

I have had the swamp and while very thick and scooped they are very loud and perhaps not the best for bedroom playing. I may go back, but I am curious about the Texas. I have the governor wizard setup because I wanted something different at the time. The mids are really intense and don't really balance with the already prominent mid of the 6505. So I'm thinking Texas would be kind of in between the governor and swamp. Ideally I would like less fizz, less upper mid and treble, more low mid, and smoother gain.
                        With the E34L's, the XXX becomes very middy in addition to it's natural brightness, so I'm thinking the Swamp Thang will help balance that out. The folks at Eminence recommended the Swamp Thang, too. Most of the high gain samples of the Texas Heats have really impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                          I love texas heats. Fat mean and mean but smooth, and the low efficiency is good cos you can crank your amp up one extra notch.
                          However...you might want to look at swamp things too which are a bit more efficient (louder) and both more defined in the lows and clearer in the highs from the massive magnet which also makes it a bit faster- probably suited to more modern metal hi gain shreddy type sounds rather than the vintage flavoured texas heats. Either way tho....both killer sounds.
                          It's tough to choose between them. But, I think I'll go with the Heats. Are they less clear compared to the Swamps? As in muddy or just less treble? Some people hear different things.

Comment

Less volume and treble would be nicer regarding micing the amp at shows and recording. Idk, I have a good feeling about these. They make sense on paper as they say.

Comment

It's tough to choose between them. But, I think I'll go with the Heats. Are they less clear compared to the Swamps? As in muddy or just less treble? Some people hear different things.
                              different beast entirely. Less treble yeah, but still plenty of definition. To use a pickup analogy, its kinda like swapping a ceramic out for an alnico II.
                              In my world that's a great thing! You will find that you can dial up the treb on your amp by an extra knotch to get the cut without the slice. There is plenty of bass too and the speaker can handle 150watts so headroom is not an issue, but its not that hard piano like bass, its a warmer thicker kind of thing going on. I can honestly say i think texans are the business, but i know all players have their own personal preferences.

So, in deference to that, and trying not to sound like too much of a texas heat fanboi, I'm going to recommend you consider one more speaker:
                              Cos you have a 6505 which is essentially a take on a hot rodded marshall, and that ideally you would like
                              less fizz, less upper mid and treble, more low mid, and smoother gain.
                              Then you could still stay with a British flavour, but add more balls and girth by using the Celestion G12K100. Thats a beefy as hell speaker too, but more in the traditional vein of marshally voiced amps with english speakers than fendery voiced amps (which is how i generally see "american" voiced speakers working best). G12K100s have a lot more lows, thickness and smoothness than v30s, and none of the scoopy sound of g12t75's. They are even fat enough to use in open back cabs an still sound meaty. If you get the chance to try some, it would not be a bad thing at all.
                              Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-27-2013, 07:08 AM.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X