Any of you guys dig Vox wahs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you guys dig Vox wahs?

I'd never used them before - always been a Dunlop man myself. Had a couple of Vai Morleys, liked them but they were just so big and ugly I had to ditch them again. Big fan of the Zakk Wylde Crybaby, though that's gone from my rig now and I currently have a 95Q.

Anyway, I digress! One of the local music shops basically shoved a Vox Handwired V846 and a Satriani Big Bad Wah into my hands the moment I walked in, so I took them home and had a go. They were pretty distinctly different philosophies of wah pedal - classic, spartan design vs Swiss Army knife designed by ol' chromedome godfather of shred himself.

I wrote some thoughts and did some clips here, if anyone's interested:

Pretty interested to see if there are other Vox wah users out there. It seems like Dunlop dominates the wah scene most of the time.
    http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Re: Any of you guys dig Vox wahs?

I have an 847 modded by John Spina, I also have a Vox Clyde McCoy and I own two vintage Thomas Organ Company Crybaby's. The old Crybaby is my favorite. It gives me a very Hendrixy type of tone & that's is what I love. My first TOC wah had some issues with the pedal. It would just slide down so I had to keep my foot on it or it would just drop. I sent it to get repaired and while it was out being fixed I bought a second one.

As far as brand new Wahs go I would take a real hard look at Real Mcoy Wahs made by Jeffery Teese or the Fulltone line. These wahs IMHO are the best out of the box wah you can buy today but they are a bit pricey.

Teese wah Real McCoy Custom Clyde McCoy Picture Vox Crybaby Cry Baby Thomas Organ Company wah-wah wha-wha pedal guitar effect Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese wah wah wah wah wah wah

Clyde McCoy was a big-band Trumpet Player in the '60s... not a great musician, but one famous for getting a muted "wah wah" sound. This led to Vox trying to approximate this muted trumpet sound in a pedal... hence the Vox "Clyde McCoy" wah wah circa 1967.

In both of these cases their are a lot of options. You can get wahs that have a tremendous amount of adjustments. I like a pretty standard wah that you just step on it to turn it on and go! Even though a couple of the wahs I have are adjustable, I have them set the way I use the and hardly ever move anything.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have used an 847 modified for true bypass since about 2000. Classic Wah tone. Exactly what I wanted. Prior to that I had a Dunlop Crybaby. I liked it too. When it was lost in the fire I went shopping and preferred the Vox and have had it ever since

Comment

I have an old vox wah made by colorsound (early 70s i think). Its a clear and cutting wah - but being a colorsound one, the gear has crapped out so im in the process of trying to transplant the circuit into a crybaby shell. I'd use it live if i cand get it working again! lol
        FWIW..for the person wanting a modern (i.e. reliable) vox sound, the yellow fasel inductor dunlop wahs sound pretty similar (i have a yellow inductor circuit in my MXR/CAE)
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

The best wah I've owned was a V848 McCoy wah, I'm using a standard Dunlop now, but if I find myself using it enough in my new band, I might try to get another 848.
          Go Packers!

Comment

I have a Dunlop Jerry Cantrell wah that I use live because of its adjustability, but I still use my late-sixties Vox King Wah for recording. The Vox constantly needs cleaning because of it's age, but I love the sound of the thing! The Dunlop is more practical for live use (adjustable tone knob, AC adapter) and sounds great, but the Vox has that vintage tone.

Comment

The newer Vox wahs from the 847 on are made by Dunlop..According to Teese telling me this several years ago...I own an 847 that I've had since it was re-issued in 93..Not sure about the most recent Vox wahs though?
              Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM.
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I dig the 847 and the older Thomas wahs....just don't have a use for them anymore.
                Originally posted by tone4days
                we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill View Post
                  I dig the 847 and the older Thomas wahs....just don't have a use for them anymore.
                  Wahs are cool,providing they don't get used in every song! ;o)
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                    The newer Vox wahs from the 847 on are made by Dunlop..According to Teese telling me this several years ago...I own an 847 that I've had since it was re-issued in 93..Not sure about the most recent Vox wahs though?
                    Hey Strat*,
                    I know you used to mod wahs as was previously mentioned. What mods did you do and how did it alter the tone? I know your wah mods are pretty highly regarded around here. Are you still modding wahs?

*No names were used to protect the identity of the innocent.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                      Wahs are cool,providing they don't get used in every song! ;o)
                      The dreaded Kirk Hammett syndrome.
                      Originally posted by tone4days
                      we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
                        Hey Strat*,
                        I know you used to mod wahs as was previously mentioned. What mods did you do and how did it alter the tone? I know your wah mods are pretty highly regarded around here. Are you still modding wahs?

*No names were used to protect the identity of the innocent.
                        I only do mods every once in awhile and normally for band mates or friends...I used to change resistor and cap values to change the overall tonality of the wah..The right inductor plays an important role...Basically I tryed to get my wahs to have more overall sweep,beefier sounding..Not every wah that I Modded was the same though..One of the best mods,is to put say a 1k pot in place of the Q1 bias resistor and have it sweep from say 270 ohm to the stock Vox value of 510 ohms..This gives the wah alot of gain differences..The lower this value,the more gain the wah has..The rest(for me) was just going with better caps and switching different values of caps and resistors to get the wahs to sound different and change the sweep...I'm still using my original Vox 847 that I bought and modded back in like 93..At one point I had like 4 wahs..Now I Just have this one...Its a great wah..very vocal..I once also owned a Teese Picture wah,but I returned it because I Liked the way this 847 of mine sounded better..Teese makes great wahs,so no offense to his stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill View Post
                          The dreaded Kirk Hammett syndrome.
                          I Love Robin Trower,but he's another excessive wah/Univibe user! ;o) But it is his tone and style..

Comment

I am strictly a Morley guy. I love the vocal tone of a Morley and the long deep range of the pedal. I have had a 70's PWB since the early 80s, I just retired it. The big silver Morleys are not board friendly and the wear and tear on the pedal was starting to show. I replaced it with a mini Morley vol/wah and I am more than happy with it. It has the classic Morley sound and it is 9 volt powered. I have tried Cry Babys and Vox over the years but I keep going back to the Morley.

Comment

I really do dig the vocal qualities of Morley wahs, especially for bringing high gain solo playing to life ala Steve Vai.... but I always felt like there was a certain warmth lacking from them, which I only got from Dunlop-type wahs with Fasel inductors. Anyone else feel that way or is it just in my head??
                              http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Comment

Working...
                              X