Slapback settings help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slapback settings help?

I've been trying to get a good classic rockabilly slapback out of my delay pedal (currently a DigiTech Time Bender, but I have also tried with other delays, like the Boss DD-20), but I can't seem to get it correct...it ends up sounding like my guitar is a ways down the hall, if that makes any sense (the whole thing, including the non-delayed initial notes, sounds distant). Any suggestions? I'm doing one or two repeats, somewhere around 120 ms, tape delay effect, I've tried turning down the tone of the repeats...any advice would be greatly appreciated! Think Scotty Moore, Danny Gatton, Brian Setzer, etc...they have that rhythmic bounce, but the initial note sounds very present, and it doesn't seem to muddy or dull or "distant-ify" the attack. Thank you!
    Last edited by MikeRocker; 03-27-2013, 02:16 PM.

Re: Slapback settings help?

Delay is set by milliseconds (mS), no beats per minute (bpm). Slapback is typically very short, 75-250 mS. You also need a delay that lets you blend the wet/dry signals so that you can adjust their relative levels. Also, the guys you mention have fairly wet signals, so reverb is definitely on order for that kind of sound, too.
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I meant ms...that's what happens when you post late at night, I guess! (post edited) I have messed with the blend, but the delay still makes the entire sound sound distant - I don't know if that's the best way to describe it, but it's kind of like the amp is down an echo-y hall, whereas those other guys generate this cool, kind of rhythmic triplet thing, and while it is certainly echo-y, it doesn't sound like it's off in the background. I hope that makes some kind of sense!

Comment

One repeat is enough. Keep it short. No reverb, or possibly just the lightest touch if you absolutely have to. Clean or barely breaking up tone is crucial too - no heavy overdrive.
        Watch this vid....start at 4:05
        He starts talking about slapback at 5:20

If you have the cash to stretch for an mxr carbon copy you wont regret it. The SD deja vu is good for keeping the inital unaffected note separate to the repeats, but its obviously a much bigger pedal and does not sound quite the same as the carbon.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

That delay can easily make a slap echo...
          Try out the analog setting, turn the mix down, and then up until you get the sound, go easy on the repeats as well.
          But it will get kinda verby.....that is how reverb is made on digital units...
          But if it is only for slapback, then the timebender is way overkill.

Comment

Thanks for the vid and the info! Yes, I know the Time Bender is total overkill for just slapback, but I use it for other stuff too (although I think I've barely scratched the surface)...having the 4 presets is really helpful! Any other thoughts?

Comment

If you run a two amp (stereo) rig, you can have one amp dry to get a good solid initial tone and the other amp with the slapback in front of it. Your initial note will not get lost.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X