banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finally found a low gain OD that delivers the goods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I finally found a low gain OD that delivers the goods.

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
    .............I had never heard of the JOYO Sweet Baby until bungalowbill embeded the YouTube video. I went to YouTube and found several more demos, loved the sound, and now one is on the way fm an ebay seller for $40 delivered. Anxious to play with it.
    Well, it arrived this evening. Only had around 20 minutes to play with it, but it did not disappoint! Buttery smooth mild OD. Thanks bungalowbill for the tip!

Comment

This pedal sounds to me like a take of Mad Professor' Sweet Honey overdrive.
      In that department, I like more how Wampler's Tweed '57 sounds.
      As a transparent overdrive (just pushing tubes, no coloring), I prefer Wampler's Euphoria.
      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
        This pedal sounds to me like a take of Mad Professor' Sweet Honey overdrive.
        In that department, I like more how Wampler's Tweed '57 sounds.
        As a transparent overdrive (just pushing tubes, no coloring), I prefer Wampler's Euphoria.
        I really want to try the Euphoria and the Paisley (and the Ego), but until I a) find a better paying job or b) get rich and famous, I'll have to stick to $40 for a pedal instead of $200+.
        Go Packers!

Comment

I bought one of these too on your recommendation. It has to be one of the best bang for buck deals of all time in new guitar gear.
          It sounds amazing!! The dynamics are crazy, and it's really hard to make it sound bad. The focus knob does great things to the sound too, it's not just a regular tone knob.

Just one question: Mine doesn't add almost any gain after 1 o' clock, I think it just adds a hint of compression but cranking the pot from that point doesn't do much.
          Do your Sweet Baby pedals behave like this too?
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

It appears that anywhere Joyo shows up, it owns.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I keep the Gain on mine at around 11:00-11:30. The few times I have turned it past the middle, it didn't seem to have much more gain.
              Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                I bought one of these too on your recommendation. It has to be one of the best bang for buck deals of all time in new guitar gear.
                It sounds amazing!! The dynamics are crazy, and it's really hard to make it sound bad. The focus knob does great things to the sound too, it's not just a regular tone knob.

Just one question: Mine doesn't add almost any gain after 1 o' clock, I think it just adds a hint of compression but cranking the pot from that point doesn't do much.
                Do your Sweet Baby pedals behave like this too?
                I have everything packed for gigs ...I will fire it up at soundcheck and see if it behaves the same way as yours. I have mine set at about noon most of the time.
                Originally posted by tone4days
                we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

I tried it today with my Tweaker already barking up a bit. You know, clean when playing soft and crunchy when hitting hard.
                  Preamp gain only, couldn't put it that loud. And I didn't really clean boost it, I just used it with the gain almost all the way up like I'd use it with a clean amp.

Holy crap!! It works BEAUTIFULLY with a dirty amp. The sounds I got were just ferocious, tons of bite and chunk. It's a goddamn perfect sound.
                  I could never do that with my Keeley Blues Driver, something was always a bit off. I think it's response was too flat.

Please guys, try it with your amp slightly on the gritty side of things. It's amazing that way!! Super heavy and extremely well defined.
                  The dynamics of this pedal really do wonders for this kind of application.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

^I'll give that a go once mine arrives....this has been an awesome thread I must say.

Comment

I use mine that way a lot. I also use it in front of my Mooer Hustle Drive. They stack together for a very thick responsive tone. Another cool trick is to put a clean boost in front of it. The boost adds just a bit more grit, and it makes an awesome solo tone. It also responds very very well to volume knob manipulation.
                      Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                        I tried it today with my Tweaker already barking up a bit. You know, clean when playing soft and crunchy when hitting hard.
                        Preamp gain only, couldn't put it that loud. And I didn't really clean boost it, I just used it with the gain almost all the way up like I'd use it with a clean amp.

Holy crap!! It works BEAUTIFULLY with a dirty amp. The sounds I got were just ferocious, tons of bite and chunk. It's a goddamn perfect sound.
                        I could never do that with my Keeley Blues Driver, something was always a bit off. I think it's response was too flat.

Please guys, try it with your amp slightly on the gritty side of things. It's amazing that way!! Super heavy and extremely well defined.
                        The dynamics of this pedal really do wonders for this kind of application.
                        Yup, I throw it in front of an already heavily distorted amp and it pushes it even farther.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I messed about with it at soundcheck last night and it does seem that past 1:00 or so, it just softens up a little...not really more gain.

It doesn't matter to me though......it works just fine, as is.
                          Originally posted by tone4days
                          we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

I used to own a BJFE Honey Bee (one of the old hardwired ones before the more mass produced Mad Professor stuff) and this really sounds identical to it. Goes to show you don't have to spend a lot these days to get good tone.
                            Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                            Originally posted by Zerberus
                            Better is often the enemy of good
                            Originally posted by ginormous
                            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                            X