Marshall dsl 100 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall dsl 100 help

I recently changed the valves in my amp and it worked fine for a bit but then one valve started red plating. I tried to rebias and got it running cooler but now I can't get it higher then say 40mv on that side. Do you think it's a bad tube screwing up my bias setting? Should I take it out along with one from the other set and run at 50 watts and about 40mv each side? just until I can get new valves? I have a few gigs lined up this week and wont have time to take it to a tech. Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Re: Marshall dsl 100 help

sometimes you just happen to get a dud,get it replaced by the shop you bought it from.
    http://www.soundclick.com/metalspider

Comment

do all the old tubes work ok?
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Sounds like you may have a bad tube in the new set you just bought...it happens. If the old tubes are still functioning, drop em in and rock em. The bias setting on the 100 watt amps is the current of 2 tubes at once so your 40mA bias is actually 20mA per tube...pretty low...and an indication of a tube problem. Stick the old set in and set them at 90mA like the owner's manual suggests and enjoy. Chances are you replaced them way earlier than they needed to be anyway...most people do. Usually a "touch up" of the bias is all that's required to bring it back to life.
        Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Thanks guys. I threw the old tubes away. The amp was blowing fuses and crackling until finally no sound came out at all so I assumed the valves needed changing. Also the bias pot on the side that was red plating has always been iffy, its loose and I had to push hard at an angle with the screwdriver to get it to work. Could that have something to do with it?
          our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
          'Cause all the girls are sluts,
          And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Working...
          X