(AMP HELP) Mesa Dual Rec Smoking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (AMP HELP) Mesa Dual Rec Smoking!

So, I bought a 3 channel Dual Rec for dirt, dirt cheap off craigslist. The guy brought the amp over to the studio, and we started testing it... everything seemed great. I took it off standby again and a fuse blew. I've read about this being fairly common with the Recs, and figured it was a bad power or rectifier tube. The guy offers to go buy some more fuses to test it out again. I agreed, and he leaves the amp and takes half the cash with him($350) as a collateral thing. He never comes back.

So i'm thinking i got one hell of a deal on an easy fix.

I watch the mesa trouble shooting video and start looking for the problem. Popped in a new fuse, and pull out all the tubes. Seems to be no problems with the rectifier tubes. I put the first power tube in(Like they say in the video), turn the amp on and everything is fine. Take it off standby and the amp flashes a huge bright light and starts smoking... i quickly turn in it off, but now the standby switch is stuck in the on position permanently, it moves, but wont stay in the standby position.

I havent turned it back on, and plan on taking it in later this week... any idea what the hell this could be?

Re: (AMP HELP) Mesa Dual Rec Smoking!

Not positive but I got the feeling your cheap deal just got expensive. Worst part is now that you've buggered it up more you cant even dump it on the guy and get your 350 back. Well you can try but that probably wont work either.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Mesa customer support is very responsive. Give them a call and ask them what they think you should do.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Whereabouts was the flash? By the standby switch? From what you've said it sounds like the switch could have failed in a major way and melted which would explain the smoke and it not locking into the standby position.
        Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
        WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
        http://fret.boards.net

Comment

You're in California... how close are you to the Boogie Hollywood store or the factory in Petaluma? I have a feeling they're gonna need to work on it.

Comment

Update :

Called the Boogie shop(I'm about an hour north) and they said it sounded like a bad power tube and the arc probably fried a screen resistor. So i took it to the closest Boogie certified tech, which luckily is only 15 minutes away... he checked it out right there and confirmed what the Boogie tech support had thought. Should be fixed and ready to go by tomorrow.

After a new set of tubes/labor, i still think I got a pretty good deal on the amp.

Comment

If you just got a Dual Rec for $450 after the repairs, you scored big.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
                Called the Boogie shop (I'm about an hour north) and they said it sounded like a bad power tube and the arc probably fried a screen resistor.
                I did that on my Carvin Legacy a while back. An overvoltage caused by a bad power tube caused two screen grid resistors to fry as well as some circuitry right around V1. The fuse blew, but not in time to prevent that from happening.

I never could get the amp to behave properly after that incident despite having the circuit rebuilt. However, Boogies are much hardier amps than Carvins are.

Is it a second-gen Dual or one of the new MultiWatters?

Comment

Sounds like a weird/sketchy deal all the way around. Here's hoping it all works out in the end, meaning you never hear from the guy again, and those repairs are all that are needed. But for the time being, congrats on your *****in' sub-$600 amp!
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
                    Update :

Called the Boogie shop(I'm about an hour north) and they said it sounded like a bad power tube and the arc probably fried a screen resistor. So i took it to the closest Boogie certified tech, which luckily is only 15 minutes away... he checked it out right there and confirmed what the Boogie tech support had thought. Should be fixed and ready to go by tomorrow.

After a new set of tubes/labor, i still think I got a pretty good deal on the amp.
                    Ha from your original description i thought that the switch wouldnt physically move to the standby position.

Glad you've got it sorted.
                    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

UPDATE II:

Just got it back from the tech and took it to the studio for a quick test.

Tele- El Capistan- Blue Sky- Boogie Channel 2(Raw)

Excuse sloppy noodling. Hum is just from the room

Comment

Put that Blue Sky in the effects loop!

Aside from that, sounds great!
                        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Maybe he came back when you were at the shop.

J/k. Congrats

Comment

Dam, I thought I was the only that got awesome deals on Mesa's! Welcome to the club my man!
                            Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Sounds great, but the tech mounted everything sideways!
                              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                              X