talk me out of an astrotone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• talk me out of an astrotone.

I'm a one pedal kind of dude. Over the last few years it has been a fuzz face of one kind or another (currently a higain sunface 275) between my 335 and my fat as hell (lightly modified) 1969 fender twin.
    Tell my why i should not buy an analogman astrotone. CHeers!
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: talk me out of an astrotone.

Don't get one. No. Stop.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

get it... now... then post some sweet clips

Comment

Get it. I'm this close to getting a Sunbender when I have some cash in a month or so. I probably won't because I know there are better better Bender options out there, but I just want all of Mike's fuzz pedalz.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I don't know much about that one....being modeled after a fuzz I've never heard.

I went to the LA Pedal Expo yesterday, and checked out the fuzz that stole the show....the Berkos Third Stone.
          The owner and I had a conversation, and I realized he's a big expert on components and fuzz's in general. He spends all his time sourcing the best of the best, and he's yet another pedal maker with a waiting list.

All I know is the Berkos Third Stone and Germanium Experience were the most impressive fuzz pedals at the show and all the good players were gravitating toward them. $300 freakin dollars though.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-09-2013, 12:26 AM.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

That's not much more than a germanium Sunface with all of the good options, for what it's worth
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

The Astro Tone is a cool box but compared to a Fuzz Face, even a lowish gain Ge Fuzz Face it's MEGA low gain...even with humbuckers.

Sunbender...no thanks, Love Mikes pedals but the Sunbender is a fail IMO...it sounds nothing like a MK 1.5 to me.

Berkos...dunno about those. Demo's did not floor me but UTOOB demos rarely do.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i keep the gain pretty low on fuzz faces anyway. Input trimmed down, fuzz rolled back a bit, then i usually have my guitar volume rolled back too - its never on 10.
                I'm just after a different texture for recording really. I like the separate notes in each chord to ring out clearly.
                Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-09-2013, 06:21 AM.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Anyone tried the Ramblefx TwinBender? Looks interesting but I don't know enough about Fuzz's to draw any good comparisons.

Comment

Before you get it, check out the Hartman Tommy Bolin fuzz if you can.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                      Anyone tried the Ramblefx TwinBender? Looks interesting but I don't know enough about Fuzz's to draw any good comparisons.
                      Thats a tone bender type fuzz. Very fuzzy and high gain - mainly for leads. ONe of those is definitely on my hit list tho.
                      Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                      Before you get it, check out the Hartman Tommy Bolin fuzz if you can.
                      II'm a big fan of Theo HArtman's work - i have two of his fuzz faces and an LM308. The Bolin one is too thin on the low end from all reports tho. Andrew pretty much talked me out of that from his experiences with his one. I know its an astrotone clone too, but I'm a low end addict and i know the lack of lows on the original sam ash version why analogman made his astrotone the way he did which is not a true vintage correct clone. Im not after a "lead boost" kind of cutting tone, but more a wider fatter sound for chords and rhythm but with clarity and note separation.
                      Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM.
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        I don't know much about that one....being modeled after a fuzz I've never heard.

I went to the LA Pedal Expo yesterday, and checked out the fuzz that stole the show....the Berkos Third Stone.
                        The owner and I had a conversation, and I realized he's a big expert on components and fuzz's in general. He spends all his time sourcing the best of the best, and he's yet another pedal maker with a waiting list.

All I know is the Berkos Third Stone and Germanium Experience were the most impressive fuzz pedals at the show and all the good players were gravitating toward them. $300 freakin dollars though.

is he still making the germanium experience? last i remember he only made a few hundred, and they'd pop up used from $900-$1200

Comment

I had one for awhile and really liked it. Like others have said, it's really low gain but if you crank your amp it has great clarity and definition and the gain is PLENTY.

The Tone circuit is really useful - lots of sounds across the dial.

I ultimately sold it because it was competing with a treble booster for the same duties and I liked the EQing of the TB better with my amps.

I say go for it.

Comment

Pedals are bad mmkay

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr_Mackey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	5767857
                            Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                            I dig the wood!

Comment

Originally posted by erksin View Post
                              I had one for awhile and really liked it. Like others have said, it's really low gain but if you crank your amp it has great clarity and definition and the gain is PLENTY.

The Tone circuit is really useful - lots of sounds across the dial.

I ultimately sold it because it was competing with a treble booster for the same duties and I liked the EQing of the TB better with my amps.

I say go for it.
                              Ya know, I could see that!

I like the Astro Tone but just don't use it often...
                              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                              X