Gibson Goldtone-inspired All-Mahogany 2x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Goldtone-inspired All-Mahogany 2x12

Everything is Mahogany, except the baffle which is a half-inch marine plywood (but it's screwed through the grill cloth, through the Mahogany "face"). It's heavy hell as the Mahogany back, front and sides are over 3/4 in thick (apparently, my carpenter didn't want to waste 1/4in from the 1in planks)... The dimensions are a little larger than an 1936 cab, which didn't help on the weight issues. The handles, were inspired by those vintone cabs \m/

I had this made for Christmas

Not bad for about 100USD eh?

Last edited by fretburner; 05-06-2013, 06:43 AM.

Re: Gibson Goldtone-inspired All-Mahogany 2x12

Cool! You may want some foam in that big box.

How does it sound??

I love the juxtaposition between cab and LNT.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      Cool! You may want some foam in that big box.
      What do you mean? Stuff it with foam -- like fill up all the available space? Would that mess up the sound?

How does it sound??
      It sounds good. But I reckon it will sound even better when I get my new speakers in there. The G12-65s are already re-coned and sound dark and muffled compared to my other closed-back mahogany cab with G12-75.

I love the juxtaposition between cab and LNT.
      I love my LNT! I use it in "thick" mode almost always. Dime the gain and turn the volume knob depending on whether or not I want to hurt my ears and neighbors.

Comment

You don't see mahogany cabs very often. What tonal properties do they have over more traditional cabs? Are they darker or more full sounding?

Comment

Right now, they seemed darker with a lot more bass. Although the latter might be because they're closed-back.

But then again, I don't have good speakers in it right now -- those speakers are re-coned and I didn't know what they did with it. When I get my new speakers, I'll put my Veteran 30s in it and I should be able to assess it's tonality better.

Comment

Working...
          X