banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Hard Is It To Repair A Tear In A Cabinet Grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Hard Is It To Repair A Tear In A Cabinet Grill?

I may be able to get an insane deal on a guitar cabinet. It currently has a tear in the top right of the front grill. How hard is something like that to repair if I wanted to? The cabinet is a Boogie. Thanks!

Jeff

Re: How Hard Is It To Repair A Tear In A Cabinet Grill?

Radio Shack for on has speaker grill cloth , there are others around the USA who market this stuff , it's relatively an easy repair .
    I'm sure online a search for it will find it fast .

HR
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

I second that, just get yourself some grill cloth, a couple of hours and a dencent instructional and you're finished. Something like this or a bit more elaborate: http://www.ehow.com/how_5768402_chan...uitar-amp.html
      Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Look mojotones web site for the grill cloth, you should be able to get the exact same

Comment

Thanks guys!

Would I have to replace the whole grill cloth? I've read some things and it says I may have to take the whole cabinet apart. Time consuming I assume, but not too difficult?

Comment

Yep the whole grill cloth should go. Well that would be the best solution anyway. Any other thing you will be able to still see after repair.

And it can be time consuming, but it not too difficult. And chances are you'll need to take large parts of the cabinet apart. But it sure will give some nice results though .
            Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

The jute cloth that Mesa uses is really good and lends itself partly to the cab/speakers tone IMO.
              I would keep the original, remove the top speaker behind the tear, and do a patch job from the inside with some black cloth hockey tape. Just piece the tear together and get it lined up nicely and apply the tape. (depending on the severity of the tear of course because if it's too far gone, then a replacement cloth might be the best option.)
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Thanks. From the pics I've seen it looks like that would be possible.

Comment

Depending on your sewing ability, you could do the repair from the back. You want to keep the weave together at the tear, while pulling the whole thing back together.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                  Originally posted by Securb
                  The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                    The jute cloth that Mesa uses is really good and lends itself partly to the cab/speakers tone IMO.
                    I would keep the original, remove the top speaker behind the tear, and do a patch job from the inside with some black cloth hockey tape. Just piece the tear together and get it lined up nicely and apply the tape. (depending on the severity of the tear of course because if it's too far gone, then a replacement cloth might be the best option.)
                    ====================

This is an argument that has been un answered since the first speaker with cabinets was/were invented a long time back in the day ( yep - the first speaker made with electromagnetic and or fixed Nichol / Ceramic were attached to a horn - the likes like the old hand cranked [ Victrola no amplifier ] and other's even older that used no electromagnetic transducer ) only after electromagnetic or fixed magnet transducers came along with electricity and pre amps and power amps .

There are those in the camp of :

Nothing should be in front of the speaker at all because of the fact ( alleged ) the sound reacts like water and is affected when it is passing through such things and thusly will have the sound altered in a negative manner .

- - TOMATO TOMATTO - POTATO POTTATO - -

Who cares , it's what floats your boat in the end , you have to please yourself as goes Ricky Nelson's song [ Garden Party ] .

Wanna see a wild @$$ speaker design :WEBSITE>http://www.specimenproducts.com/doub...-horn-speaker/<WEBSItE

As far as the speaker cloth influence on the sound , could be , not the first time the way a speaker and cabinet's particular sound is predicated on it as a whole and not just the transducer . Will it sound bad , naw and no one in the audience will know the difference probably , just you and others like me .

I want that spinner and the fixed single tower horn :WEBSITE> http://www.specimenproducts.com/xl-horn-speakers/ <WEBSITEClick image for larger version

Name:	horns_hi_res-LB-715x893.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	5768260 @ Ąż $1800.00 @ pair ?! Gonna need a hit recording or hit the lotto heh heh heh .

Hmmmmmm - Wonder if they'd throw in the speaker cases for these puppys .

Easy man :

Hurricane Ramon
                    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

Working...
                    X