Removed the bright cap from my JCM 800.. Mucho better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed the bright cap from my JCM 800.. Mucho better

So my 800 was extremely bright at low levels, even with the treble on 0. So i decided to remove the bright cap on the pre-amp volumes. A quick touch of the iron, and it was done. Wow, did it make a difference. The treble is MUCH more manageable at lower volumes than it ever was before. So I decided to do a little clip. Excuse the crap playing. Boosted with the SD and a little delay in the loop. Im digging this amp more and more!

Re: Removed the bright cap from my JCM 800.. Mucho better

That's cool and all, but what's the point of making a Marshall better for lower volumes?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
      That's cool and all, but what's the point of making a Marshall better for lower volumes?
      Right now I am using at home. I have to get another cab for it, and i am broke. Thus is life. I have a feeling it will sound just fine with the volume cranked. I "could" pick up a 1960a for cheap around locally, but my kid comes first!

Comment

oh yeah, the bright cap was clipped on mine, that mod is a must, and the only one i did.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
          Because not many get to play at Madison Sq Gardens.

Comment

And as you turn the volume up more, the bright cap becomes less and less usefull, so it's a good 'mod'. I always wondered why mine sounded thick and meaty at lower volumes. Turns out my bright cap has been clipped already before I even knew about it.
            Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

That's a very common mod on those amps. Sounds nice.

Comment

Working...
              X