MKIV vs. Dual Rectifier gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKIV vs. Dual Rectifier gain?

I'll be getting either a MKIV, or a Dual Recifier, now that I have my Blazing fast action Mockingbird , my 'Hot Rod Marshall ' Crate Stealth won't keep up.
    Whats the difference in gain structure on these beasties?
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: MKIV vs. Dual Rectifier gain?

you want my dual rec for your shiva is what you want

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
      you want my dual rec for your shiva is what you want
      The Shiva is History. lulz.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Totally different. Dual Rects have a grainy more in your face kind of sound where as the gain on the Mark series is smoother, creamier gain.
        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Will they both sing and wail ? I suppose the Recto will scream also, has a grittier sound and a tighter punchier feel whereas the MKIV will have more of a smooth Shiva type gain, but more of it, and have more sag and touch reponsiveness.

Comment

I think MkIV's are more versatile when it comes to usable tones. They can get very punchy and in your face. The Dual Rects have more grit and grind that are better suited for Rhythm playing, but they can sing as well if you dial them in right. If you're wanting both the grind and the singing from a Dual, look for an older model w/ the channel cloning feature. Not that the 3 channel models can't be dialed in like that, but the older models do it better.
            Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Marks have straight up cascaded gain. As you increase it it gets smoother and more compressed.

Rectos have one of the preamp tubes as a cold clipping circuit. It makes the amp sound more distorted with less gain, which makes them sound gritty and less compressed at the same relative levels of distortion.

Marks have a very singing lead tone. Everything is instantanious. Super tight, but not tight to a fault. Their natural voice is somewhat honky, which is what gives them that distinctive lead and rhythm sound.

The lack of compression is what gives a Recto it's distinctive rhythm response. It makes them more percussive with more touch sensitivity than a Mark. It's also why they're somewhat mediocre for leads. They kind of fall flat in that department.

The texture of the gain only tells part of the story. Both amps feel completely different to play through. Marks are fast and forceful. Single notes feel powerful and chords crisp. Their response is pretty straight forward.

Rectos are slower and more three dimensional. There is a distinct delay between the sound of your pick attack and the amp rising to full force and you can control the length of that delay using your pick attack and muting technique. It gives you the ability to rapid fire palm mutes in tight succession, then switch techniques and drop huge power chords that take a moment or two to unfold.

It's probably pretty obvious that Marks are my preference for lead and Rectos for rhythm, although both will do either job quite well. I generally gig my Mark V over my Recto because it's less sensitive to volume than my Roadster is... Rectos have to be moderately loud before they start producing the sound that made them famous.

And FWIW, I own an old 2 channel and a Roadster and IMO the Roadster has a far better lead tone than the 2 channel.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

So what kind of music do you want to use it for? Leads? Rhythm? Both?
                Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Some_dude described the difference well. Your cabinet and speakers make a huge difference in the final tone. The Mark series can sound pretty nasal through Vintage 30 cabs, while the Recto can sound bland through Celestion's modern-voiced speakers. Rectos play very nicely through Vintage 30s while Marks sound great through Classic Lead 80 or Black Shadow 90 speakers in my experience. I use a blend of Celestion V30 and G12H-80 speakers to negate the negative effects of using either amp through my cabinets.

Also, consider what overdrives or boosts you have. It has been difficult for me to dial muddiness out of the Recto sound without a mid-treble boost on the front end of the amp.

As a reference, the tones in this Incubus song really capture the kinda murky, but still ripping sound of a Recto. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nqRkAsZumc

Comment

Originally posted by MrTondo View Post
                    So what kind of music do you want to use it for? Leads? Rhythm? Both?
                    Jerry-core

Comment

Working...
                    X