Fender Supersonic 60 1x12 combo opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Supersonic 60 1x12 combo opinions

I have a chance to trade my 1981 Ibanez AR-50 for a Fender SS60 1x12 combo locally. The artist is for sale btw:https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...-Original-Case I've done some research here and some demos on youtube and only a few seemed to grab my attention.

Any owners or previous SS60 combo owners here that could help me on this decision? Seems like that amp could cover a lot of musical territory my current rig doesn't do as well. May be playing some more classic rock soon and my Boogie doesn't quite clean up the way I'd like for that style. Plus, carrying a combo is always better than a head and cabinet.

Plus, what is the current used price on the SS 1x12?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Fender Supersonic 60 1x12 combo opinions

I see them going on ebay for 550 on up. Looks like they have a large tube complement of 8 preamp tubes, 2 power tubes. I would play it a lot first before I considered that trade. I love the look of that Ibanez, and wish I could pick it up. Double creme on black is HOT.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Had a Blond SS 60 head for a while that I traded even for a new Marshall TSL 60 head.
      The Fender SS was the better rig overall and I would do the trade on your Iby if the amp is clean.
      The AMP has some really nice cleans + a fat smooth crunch channel one neat thing is the loop is foot switchable and if you jump it on the SS can be used for a nice adjustable solo boost.
      Overall I found mine to be quite a usable rig.
      Marshall GAS got me but after living with both wish I had kept the SS!!
      Last edited by Ascension; 08-31-2013, 11:59 PM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I have an SS60. It is a decent amp for sure. Lotta big bottles inside. This amp is pretty loud, so I really don't get to use it very often, but it sounds great. The reverb is everything you would expect from a large tank Fender.

The vintage/clean side of the amp is very tasty sounding. I don't have enough experience playing the original amp models on which the vintage channel is based, so I can't say how authentic they sound, but it is a very clean usable channel. The burn channel is interesting too, but one of the more prickly Fender gain sections I've ever used in terms of having both good and bad spots on the dials. There are some really good gain settings in here, but it took me awhile to find them.

You do hear about a lot of reliability problems with this amp, and mine is no exception. It currently makes a loud crackling noise on one channel, but I suspect I may just have a bad tube. Mine only does this after it's had 30 minutes of warm-up time. If I were you, I would give the amp a good workout before I agreed to trade.

In trade for your AR-50 (which is a damn fine guitar, BTW!) you'd probably be doing Ok. New the SS60 goes for about $1300, but they can be found for under a grand used. I paid $850 for mine, with creme tolex/oxblood grille cloth.

TL;DR: The SS60 is a great amp, but make sure you aren't getting a lemon.
        Originally posted by DreX
        Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
        The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
        There's no substance to anything I have posted.
        Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
        I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I'm in the process of arranging a meet to give it a tryout. I must say, the clean tones on the demos did impress me quite a bit and the dirty tones weren't as bad as I'd expect from a stock Fender. Never been a fan of stock Fender od sounds. Seems like they may shine a tad more with a good transparent type OD pedal like a Boss super od or a ts9 in front of it.

Wasn't aware there were reliability issues with them. Aside of tube changes I've only had to have my Boogie repaired once in close to 15 yrs and that was due to my former bass player hooking up a speaker cab wrong. Juice went back to the head!! Ouch!!!! Luckily I have a good friend who's an electronics wiz. Didn't charge me but a 6 pack of his fav import and it only needed 2 fuses and a couple burnt caps. Nothing I could blame on the Boogie, just an idiot bandmate so I've gotten way to used to to things working with no worry. Appreciate the heads up on the Fenders possible issues.

Thanks trevorus on the compliment. That thing is a beauty. It gets so little play I'm having a hard time justifying it. The #1 reason I'm considering the trade is I'm thinking I can sell the Fender quicker and for a little more $$ than the Ibanez. Love to keep the artist but bills have been killing us lately.

Comment

Well, after a 1 hr demo I did the trade. So far I'm more than pleased. I can't say enough about the clean tones and talk about LOUD! I was also pleasantly shocked by the "burn" channel. Enough gain for rock or 80's metal. Not quite the over the top gain a Boogie or the sort have but with an eq pedal, a booster or OD pedal I think it would pass. Right now I'm leaving it on for a few hours. Doing the Mesa factory burn in test. I figure if it fails after being on for appx 24 hrs it should be all good.

Amp was quiet too. Read several complaints about noise and hissing and the only noise I got was feedback which is to be expected when playing distorted right in front of it! LOL!

in the end: I'm pleased with the trade and I made the guy promise if he decided to part with the Artist I traded I'd get first dibs. I have two other artists and this one never got played anyway but money providing I would love to have it back.

Worse case, I can sell the Fender for more than the pitiful offers I was getting on the Artist. Guess if it was a chambered weight relief Les Paul I could have gotten thousands out of it.

Comment

Those amps are great. The overdrive is really it's own thing, but it sounds better than any overdrive I've heard coming from another channel switching Fender (I thought stuff like the Prosonic sounded like garbage in comparison). With a great clean channel and great overdrive, what's not to like about it? Only thing that would have sold me further is if it was P-T-P given the reliability issues I've heard about with them, but the sound is definitely there and priced right.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I think they are one of the best channel switching amp designs out there today. I know they sound good, at least the ones I have heard in person.

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                  Only thing that would have sold me further is if it was P-T-P given the reliability issues
                  If more amp manufacturers would take quality control more seriously I don't believe there would be so many issues with PCB based amps. I truly believe slack QC is the reason PCB amps get such a bad rap.

Still, keeping my fingers crossed. With my luck it'll give out in a week. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by jpistolas View Post
                    Not quite the over the top gain a Boogie or the sort have but with an eq pedal, a booster or OD pedal I think it would pass.
                    Sure, but remember this?

Originally posted by jpistolas View Post
                    With so many modern high gain amps on the market I don't see the logic in piling pedals in front of an amp when Mesas, 5150's, Diezels etc. do it perfect right out of the box with no need for pedals.
                    Yes, I just don't see the "logic." You should get a Diezel, not a Supersonic.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                      Sure, but remember this?

Yes, I just don't see the "logic." You should get a Diezel, not a Supersonic.
                      ... Or both amps, because budget is not a reason either per the "logik."
                      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                        ... Or both amps...
                        If a case can be made for either piece of gear, then the correct answer is always to buy one of each.
                        Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                        The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                        There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                        Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                        I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

As a devoted SD pickup fan with Alnico II Pros in my ES-335 and Fret King Elise semi, and Duncan Antiguities II in my CP Jaguar (250k pots in lead channel, 1 meg pot in rhythm channel), I recently acquired the newer Fender Super Sonic 60 with script logo and wanted to report on it.

Despite so many bad reviews on hissing, volume pots, loudness, etc. for the SS 60, I wanted to report that mine has no hiss, and the volume knob has a smooth taper. I replaced V30 with a well broken in Eminence Red Fang 8 ohm 50W alnico speaker, and the Vibrolux and Bassman channel 1 are wonderfully sweet, with deep bass, smooth mids and highs. The gain channel 2 is also great, without those V30 upper mids that are so predominant.

I gig regularly, and play blues, R&B, funk and classic rock, also a few harder rock covers, and it blends well with our other guitarist's LP and Marshall; it can cut through his rhythm as well when I'm on leads.

I also plan to put the adjustable Eminence Maverick in an extra cab, which acts as an attenuator, so I can dime the SS at gigs, pumping the power tubes, at a hearing level that won't burst eardrums.

For me, it's just a more powerful DRRI or Vibrolux blackface on channel 1 leads, and punchy like a Bassman when wanted on rhythm.

I felt that there should be a positive review of this amp online, particularly on a forum dedicated to players who can hear the nuances of tone.

For reference, I have owned a Fargen Blackbird, a Bogner Alchemist, and most every Fender over the years, being particularly susceptible to 6V6/6L6 tubes. This amp is a keeper. I still have my DRRI and Alchemist.

Comment

I have the super-sonic twin 100 and it's great! I have not had reason to add a pedal yet. Great tube distortion and a few models to choose from with the push of a button. Great reverb too.

Comment

Originally posted by Teobeck View Post
                              As a devoted SD pickup fan with Alnico II Pros in my ES-335 and Fret King Elise semi, and Duncan Antiguities II in my CP Jaguar (250k pots in lead channel, 1 meg pot in rhythm channel), I recently acquired the newer Fender Super Sonic 60 with script logo and wanted to report on it.

Despite so many bad reviews on hissing, volume pots, loudness, etc. for the SS 60, I wanted to report that mine has no hiss, and the volume knob has a smooth taper. I replaced V30 with a well broken in Eminence Red Fang 8 ohm 50W alnico speaker, and the Vibrolux and Bassman channel 1 are wonderfully sweet, with deep bass, smooth mids and highs. The gain channel 2 is also great, without those V30 upper mids that are so predominant.

I gig regularly, and play blues, R&B, funk and classic rock, also a few harder rock covers, and it blends well with our other guitarist's LP and Marshall; it can cut through his rhythm as well when I'm on leads.

I also plan to put the adjustable Eminence Maverick in an extra cab, which acts as an attenuator, so I can dime the SS at gigs, pumping the power tubes, at a hearing level that won't burst eardrums.

For me, it's just a more powerful DRRI or Vibrolux blackface on channel 1 leads, and punchy like a Bassman when wanted on rhythm.

I felt that there should be a positive review of this amp online, particularly on a forum dedicated to players who can hear the nuances of tone.

For reference, I have owned a Fargen Blackbird, a Bogner Alchemist, and most every Fender over the years, being particularly susceptible to 6V6/6L6 tubes. This amp is a keeper. I still have my DRRI and Alchemist.
                              So you put a speaker with a 50 watt power handling rating into a 60 watt amp?
                              -
                              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X