Wowee Wah - opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wowee Wah - opinions?

Been considering a switchless wah. I have a Teese Wizard Wah. Tone is fantastic but it's really hard to pop in and out and no LED. He doesn't like the conventional true bypass switches in most gear and uses these Italian switches instead, which he says hold up better but do not allow an LED indicator. And I gotta stomp the shiznit out of this thing to get it to come on so I am like, I need a switchless wah. I guess the italian switches need a little extra something I can't give them.

I confess I am a little b1tch about wah pedals. I have found something to hate about all of em, and dunlop/vox are not even an option for me unless you dig mexican radio, massive amounts of noise and all your bass are belong to us.

Morley switchless all have some d00sh nozzle's name splattered on them and they are also huge and not pedalboard friendly.

I found some online recommendations for the Wowee Wah. Anyone have one? Opinions?

Thanks and yes this is about three paragraphs too many to obsess about a g@dd@m wah pedal.

sigpic

Re: Wowee Wah - opinions?

Have you looked at the Dunlop Crybaby 535Q? It is switchless - all you do is step on the pedal to activate it. Problem is that you can't get that "sweet spot" tone that alot of players use where it's positioned almost in the middle of the sweep range. That's why I decided against it and had my old Dunlop GCB-95 repaired.

Comment

You can adjust the switch to be easier to switch on and off...would that help?
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

have you adjusted the height of the switch on your teese?
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I haven't tried that. I probably should. It is a really great wah pedal and I'd like to keep using it. I didn't know you could adjust the switches.

sigpic

Comment

I have not tried the switchless Crybaby. I typically do not set my wah for a sweet spot, so a switchless one would be fine for me. Maybe I should go by Guitar Center at some point and check one out...

sigpic

Comment

If you just loosen both nuts on the switch you can raise the switch up so it takes less pressure to click it on and off...

Geoffrey must have a lead foot because every RMC wah I've ever played took a good stomp to engage but it's quick and easy to "correct" that issue.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Consider an Area 51 wah, also. No switchless, anyway.
                As (more or less) switchless, you can consider the expensive Roger Mayer Vision Wah (but, I honestly prefer the Area 51).
                Last edited by hermetico; 10-14-2013, 09:38 AM.
                My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                  Been considering a switchless wah. I have a Teese Wizard Wah. Tone is fantastic but it's really hard to pop in and out and no LED. He doesn't like the conventional true bypass switches in most gear and uses these Italian switches instead, which he says hold up better but do not allow an LED indicator. And I gotta stomp the shiznit out of this thing to get it to come on so I am like, I need a switchless wah. I guess the italian switches need a little extra something I can't give them.

I confess I am a little b1tch about wah pedals. I have found something to hate about all of em, and dunlop/vox are not even an option for me unless you dig mexican radio, massive amounts of noise and all your bass are belong to us.

Morley switchless all have some d00sh nozzle's name splattered on them and they are also huge and not pedalboard friendly.

I found some online recommendations for the Wowee Wah. Anyone have one? Opinions?

Thanks and yes this is about three paragraphs too many to obsess about a g@dd@m wah pedal.
                  You could just try lowering or raising the switch which ever way will allow you to activate it easier. I know on the old Crybabies I used to pull the rubber stops off to make it easier to turn it on/off. With the RMC's I don think they have the rubber stops so try raising the switch. I mean if you love the tone of the wah, then i would find a way to make it work.
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                    If you just loosen both nuts on the switch you can raise the switch up so it takes less pressure to click it on and off...

Geoffrey must have a lead foot because every RMC wah I've ever played took a good stomp to engage but it's quick and easy to "correct" that issue.
                    hahaha, yeah I guess every one has a different touch. To be honest I like the wah so much I really should try to make it work for me. It does not suck out the low end and it has this great growl to it. Perfect wah for stoner riffs.

sigpic

Comment

Well I made the adjustment and it works much better now.

Nonetheless, I tried out a Bad Horsie at GC today. Kinda weird but cool at the same time. The swell and throw of the pedal is a little odd, but adjustable in contour mode. It sounded pretty decent and the switchless worked pretty well. It did not sound as good as the Wizard but not bad, better than a stock crybaby.

Finding space for one on my board would be a challenge. And who knows I could get a Tremonti wah and paint HYDRO in big letters over it... LOL!

sigpic

Comment

Tweaking those switches is a BIG deal a lot of players overlook.

I see guys all the time either stomping the snot out of them or kicking them in and out over and over by accident...

I picked up a Joe Bonamassa Crybaby earlier this week and that was the first thing I noticed...damn switch was so high I kept clicking it in and out w/o even trying...a few turns of a pair of nuts and no more issues!

Glad it worked out for you!

The Wizard Wah is such a unique wah and I'm not sure you'll find anything that sounds like it except maybe another Wizard wah!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, fellas! Very helpful all around.

Yeah the Wizard Wah is really cool and fits my sound perfectly. As Teese says on his site it does not sound so much like a vintage wah but it is almost like it was designed for higher gain use with a little bit freakier tone. A funk or R&B guy may not dig it as much but it is really good for a riffing wah a la Jerry Cantrell on Dirt or Sabbath's Electric Funeral.

I wonder what kind of wah Iommi used on that?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                            Thanks for all the suggestions and help, fellas! Very helpful all around.

Yeah the Wizard Wah is really cool and fits my sound perfectly. As Teese says on his site it does not sound so much like a vintage wah but it is almost like it was designed for higher gain use with a little bit freakier tone. A funk or R&B guy may not dig it as much but it is really good for a riffing wah a la Jerry Cantrell on Dirt or Sabbath's Electric Funeral.

I wonder what kind of wah Iommi used on that?
                            I believe it was a Tycobrahe Parapedal

Comment

Working...
                            X