Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	5830521

the soundfile is a USA Custom Guitar strat with SSL2s into a DRRI

"music heals"
    facebook

Re: NPD ... Muffness

Is that a kit build?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
      Is that a kit build?
      not exactly ... it's built from a madbean mudbunny PCB:

his PCBs are excellent quality, and well documented, but allow for more freedom than a kit build

the BOM for the parts is listed on the forum ... if you're interested, I'll supply a link
      [http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/i...?topic=5703.0]

you'll need to be familiar with ordering from Mouser
      Last edited by Curly; 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM.
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

lovely.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Not happy with any of Those kit muffs. They just lack a certain edge. I have not tried a Stomp Under Foot, bu I'd venture o say its the same deal. I'm Going back o Russian asap.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Dude, thanks for the link on that PCB site. That'll make life a lot easier. I'm familiar with Mouser. I really hate breadboard, Vero is ok, but a well designed layout is great.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
            Originally posted by Securb
            The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Madbean's pcbs are really good.

Congrats on the build!

Comment

Oh, God... building a Muff on vero or breadboard would be awful. I built a Fuzzrite on vero, but a Muff? The part count is just too high. MadBean is where it's at, his boards are great. Pick up his band's CD while you're there, it's excellent, and (not surprisingly) full of great guitar tones.

What Muff variant did you build, Curly? Mine's a triangle.

Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                  Oh, God... building a Muff on vero or breadboard would be awful.
                  It's not that bad Rich. I've built a tripleWreck, blackartstoneworks pharaoh, earthboundaudiosupercollider (those last 2 are slightly tweaked muff circuits), and many others on vero easily. High part count doesn't mean that it's harder, just have to be organized and it's quite worth it. PCBs are nice and I love working with them but sometimes toner transfer, etching, drilling by themselves take more time than just building those big circuits on vero directly. Even the Klon centaur wasn't that bad on vero.

Comment

See, not so bad:

Supercollider:

3Xwreck:

All doable without taking too much time, just good planning...

Comment

thanks guys!
                      Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                      What Muff variant did you build, Curly? Mine's a triangle.
                      nice job!
                      mine's a Triangle too, built with MadBean's parts list ...
                      I also did a Mayo, but it sounds a little fizzy, and I haven't sorted that out yet ... I know it's a higher gain circuit, but it's still too fizzy, even with lower gain transistors

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                      .. I've built a tripleWreck, blackartstoneworks pharaoh, earthboundaudiosupercollider ...
                      the Pharoah is on my 'to do' list ... I'm doing a few different muff versions, mainly to study the circuit as a learning tool ...

my favorite fuzz is the tonebender, then a fuzz face ... but I found that the Muff is a little less of a fussy circuit: the volume sweep is a little smoother, without as much boost at the end, which bugs me sometimes on a Bender or fuzz face
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

You're not helping with all of these Muff purchases y'know...

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                          thanks guys!

nice job!
                          mine's a Triangle too, built with MadBean's parts list ...
                          I also did a Mayo, but it sounds a little fizzy, and I haven't sorted that out yet ... I know it's a higher gain circuit, but it's still too fizzy, even with lower gain transistors

the Pharoah is on my 'to do' list ... I'm doing a few different muff versions, mainly to study the circuit as a learning tool ...

my favorite fuzz is the tonebender, then a fuzz face ... but I found that the Muff is a little less of a fussy circuit: the volume sweep is a little smoother, without as much boost at the end, which bugs me sometimes on a Bender or fuzz face
                          The pharaho's really cool but 75% of its tone is a big muff. It's very nice though and I'm glad I built it.
                          I've done the triangle and green russian and somewhere down the line I want to build a ram' head and its violet variant too.

Tonebemders and fuzz faces are cool but I hate working with germaniun transistors (they're doable with silicon but it's quite different).
                          I'm actually working on piggybacking two silicons to fine tune the gain and get closer to germs in order to avoid having to buy 50 germs in order to find what? 10% of adequate ones for fuzzes in the lot? I don' have time or money to waste on these.

Report back with your builds curly!
                          Last edited by Surgeon; 10-11-2013, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Everyone needs a good Muff
                            Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                            Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                            Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Working...
                            X