4x12 different speaker combinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x12 different speaker combinations

If you have a 16ohm cab with 4x16ohm speakers, two different models of speakers, would it make a difference in if you put mismatched pair of speakers in series instead of matching them?

Or would it sound the same because common load is still mandated by parallel wiring between the pairs?

Re: 4x12 different speaker combinations

Mismatching speakers is actually done quite often. Just replacing speakers in a 4x12 is pricey, but makes a HUGE difference. You just need to make sure the impedance is correct at the end. You can achieve this being wiring speakers in parts/groups in series or parallel.

Comment

No, maybe I wasn't clear enough. It's actually a cab with 2 vintage 30's and two G12's in it (or whatever model is it, doesn't matter really). They are all 16 ohm and the cab is wired at 16ohm, which means two pairs in series, wired together in parallel. At the moment one series pair is two G12's, and the other one is two vintage 30's together, then both pairs go out in parallel. I was thinking what happens if you mismatch and wire two pairs with one V30 and one G12 in each pair, then both series pairs go out in parallel (same as before).

Does it make a difference if two identical speaker pairs are wired in series as opposed to mismatched series pair?

Comment

I don't think it matters, as long as the ohm ratings are the same in all of the speakers. If there is any tonal difference, it would probably be negligible.

I currently have Eminence Swamp Thangs and Texas heats in an X pattern in one of my cabs, and just wired it with a Swamp Thang and a Texas Heat in each series loop.
        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I have an identically speakered cab. Two inputs, but no selector. So I wired two sets at 8ohms to seperate jacks. And I ran two smaller wattage amps in the same cab and it sounded fine. But if I want to use my 50watt head I have to use both jacks at 4 ohms. It does sound a little flabby in the bass compared to my my friends Marshall cab. But the cabinet is just a tool for me when building amps or pedals. It's not for playing out or recording. If it were than I'd put it back to 16 ohm.
          Last edited by VanDerchuck; 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM.
          Hmm...

Comment

It would sound a tad different because: when you place two speakers together like in a 2- 12, the frequencies they have in common combine & magnify. Ex: if both speakers at a low volume have defined upper mids, those will pop out, but one speaker with unique bass will have that at a low volume while the other might have searing top-end...WHICH I think sounds awesome- alive, chaotic, interesting. So in your case, it will make each speaker more interesting. But when there's 2 speakers, mounted on the same plane, facing the same direction,- the more they match, the more those frequencies jump right out. So the matched speakers will appear louder.

One experiment i tried: I set 2 different 5w amps next to each other, each at a whisper (as in "could you not whisper? I'm trying to hear myself play guitar!"): When both are on, It is actually surprising how RAWKIN' loud (as in,"TURN THAT DOWN before someone calls the cops!")!!! it gets , MORESO when you start to eq them alike.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••
            4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
            VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
            Dunc Dist Demo
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Comment

Working...
            X