6v6+el84 amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v6+el84 amps

can you guys name off some amps that use both these tube combinations. i'm looking for a more boutique amp that uses the power section of a mesa blue angel.

Re: 6v6+el84 amps

Egnater Rebel 20. No?

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

There's a Divided by 13 amp that does this, I can't recall which one at the moment.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Unless you're looking for a gain machine, why not just grab a Blue Angel? 1x12 combos can usually be had for a decent price.
        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I love my Blue Angel! It is the anti-recto...and it sounds great when both sets of tubes are running together. I don't know why you'd spend more money on something else. The BAs are tanks and sound great.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

+1 on the Blue Angel. Great small club amp. Love pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
              Unless you're looking for a gain machine, why not just grab a Blue Angel? 1x12 combos can usually be had for a decent price.
              i wanted to see what else is out there..having just one channel can be a pain. i might end up getting one. i was also wondering if there was an amp that had more than 38 watts. I read that sometimes players have a problem being loud enough. guess i can just mic it.

Comment

Here's a thread about a mod to my Epiphone Valve Jr. that allows you to use a 6V6 or 6L6 together with an EL84.
                Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Another idea...a bit off your original topic. I ran a Mesa Mk IV for years with 6V6s' in the Simuclass sockets and 6L6s' in the full power sockets. Got a huge range of volume that way. Of course, no EL-84 chime but you ask about more wattage. EL-84s' don't go there. I built an amp with four EL-84s'. It had 420 volts in the PS, they couldn't take it. Had to use zeners to get the voltage down to about 330 or they would red-plate.

I could run the Mesa from 22 watts up to around 70 watts. When you flicked on the 6L6s' the 6V6s' would just disappear.

Comment

left field suggestion:
                    if you like the warmth and fatter low end of 6v6's and like the chime and sparkle of el84's and would like to combine those sounds...
                    you can get pretty damn close to getting that classic chime by using a normal 6v6 type amp such as a deluxe reverb by bypassing the negative feedback loop.
                    It makes the amp feel a lot looser, a bit louder and it breaks up a little eaiser and you also get extended chime and harmonics as well as a noticeable increase in low end - even tho the low end feels a little looser.
                    Its worth considering because bypassing the negative feedback loop is a very easy and totally reversible modification.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                      left field suggestion:
                      if you like the warmth and fatter low end of 6v6's and like the chime and sparkle of el84's and would like to combine those sounds...
                      you can get pretty damn close to getting that classic chime by using a normal 6v6 type amp such as a deluxe reverb by bypassing the negative feedback loop.
                      It makes the amp feel a lot looser, a bit louder and it breaks up a little eaiser and you also get extended chime and harmonics as well as a noticeable increase in low end - even tho the low end feels a little looser.
                      Its worth considering because bypassing the negative feedback loop is a very easy and totally reversible modification.
                      !!! O_o ??? i'm sure i can look it up, but i'll ask anyways. How do i go about doing this. There isn't some secret way to do this to el84 amps, is there?
                      Last edited by gambit1983; 10-14-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

The BA is a loud amp, and you can get another 'channel' by using a good overdrive. It takes pedals exceptionally well. There really aren't many (or any) other amps which do what the BA does.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by gambit1983 View Post
                          !!! O_o ??? i'm sure i can look it up, but i'll ask anyways. How do i go about doing this. There isn't some secret way to do this to el84 amps, is there?
                          in a Deluxe reverb you can just snip or desolder the 820ohm resistor which governs the amount of signal going to the nfb loop. snipping, desoldering one leg or removing it bypasses the nfb circuit completely. Whether or not any given amp whatever its tube configuration has an nfb loop , or how much signal is sent to it of course varies depending on the design.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	deluxe reverb nfb loop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	5772507
                          Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                          X