banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to mod an OD if you only use it to boost gain channels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it to mod an OD if you only use it to boost gain channels?

JHS pedals/mods has a mod for the Bad Monkey which has a lot of bells and whistles, and is a mere $45. I only use my Monkey to boost the gain channels on my XXX, no blues or solo boosts.

Would modding the Monkey appeal more to those who use their pedals for non-metal purposes? Would it be a waste of money in my case?

Re: Is it worth it to mod an OD if you only use it to boost gain channels?

It depends in what those mods do with the sound. For instance I like to use my MXR Wylde Overdrive pedals to push the front end of amps with (full volume and tone with the gain all the way down). So one day recently out of curiousity I tried one of them at 18 volts. It made the pedal sound much more aggressive, and it turns out that the only component that gets stressed at 18 volts is the power input cap (C9), which is rated for 16 volts.

Granted, those two caps I bought for my pedals didn't even cost me a buck, but still, it was a mod that was worth it, even though I don't really use those pedals for much if any of the distortion they're capable of.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Re: Is it worth it to mod an OD if you only use it to boost gain channels?

I heard back from one of the guys at JHS. Supposedly, their mod increases the low-end, and gives you different gain options and a 3-way toggle for different types of gain (Germanium/Open Boost/Silicon) and a volume boost.

I really love the Monkey's 2-band EQ and transparency, and I've never had a pedal modified before. I've tried to mod them on my own, but that just ends with my room smelling like Bacon from all the burnt flesh.

Comment

Working...
      X