Looking for amps that meet this criteria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for amps that meet this criteria

I was thinking to myself about what all I would want in a amplifier and compiled this list of specs to see what amps out their meets the list.

1.Two to three channels. Clean channel has to be decent not exactly fender twin clean but very decent. All channels foot switchable.
    The other two channels would be two different types of distortion. One would be organic, a little compressed, very
    dynamic, open sounding. The other would be full on modern high gain.

2.A solo boost option. Preferably foot switchable.

3.Reverb. Digital or spring doesn't matter just has to sound good.

4.EL34 power section.

So far their are 3 amps that meet most of the specs that I have looked at which are
    Bogner Shiva (1x12 combo)
    Splawn Quickrod
    Blackstar Series One EL34 head

Any other amps that are similar please add them and describe them if possible.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Re: Looking for amps that meet this criteria

Almost any of the new Mesas can run 34s, without rebiasing. The older Mark III and Mark IV with the Simul-Class might be viable. I wouldn't discount the the Stilettos, either. They don't have reverb, but the Mesa efx loop is really good. Choose your own reverb, rack or pedal.

Lots of options.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I forgot about Messa. I usually only think of them for their higher gain offerings. I'll look into them. Only thing that kind of turns me away from them is that they're so complicated to dial in but that might just be a bunch of hype.
      Originally posted by KBliss
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      Originally posted by trevorus
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Mesa Express Plus 50 watter, converted to EL34's.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Carvin V3
          comes in a Mini 50 watt version also
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'd also suggest looking into Laney amps.

Comment

Traynor YCV50 (the blue one):

- 50 Watts, EL-34
              - decent clean channel
              - decent gain channel
              - has a solo boost on the gain channel that gives you more gain, can almost act as a 3rd channel
              - has spring reverb
              - effects loop
              - V30 speaker

You can pick them up used for pretty cheap (3-400$ around here). Might be worth checking out if you happen to see one . . .
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Rhodes Colossus or Gemini. They don't have reverb, but like mentioned above, that could be added with a pedal or rack. And yeah the Colossus is a four channel amp, but gawd that thing sounds awesome. It makes me drool. :P

Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM.
                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I must also suggest the EVH 5150 III. I don't have any hands on experience, just what I've read.

Clean channel is supposedly quite fendery, crunch channel has enough gain and character to do Women and Children First era Van Halen, and the high gain channel is loved by many, many people. It's like a normal 5150 high gain sound, except better. That's what I'm told.
                  My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                  Originally posted by CTN
                  I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Working...
                  X