• Show
Clear All

• Speaker suggestions for 1963 Gibson Falcon Amp

Click image for larger version

Name:	gibson_falcon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	5830562

Just bought a good condition 1963 Gibson Falcon GA-19RVT that is getting some work done to fix a few issues and add a master volume control. I should get it back by this next week hopefully. The speaker is the original jensen c12r with a ceramic magnet and the speaker code dates to 1962. I'm going to see how the work changes the sound since I haven't heard it yet in good working condition.
    Just wondering if anyone has upgraded the speaker in one of these falcon amps and what did you use?
    I'm looking to play classic rock (Tull, Skynyrd and similar) so a little dirty is good but a good clean tone is mandatory for messing around with ABB and such. My SG with 57s already sounded pretty good through this thing before taking it to the shop.
    Matt
    Acoustic: Larrivee D-03R, Epiphone PR-350-SM (Fishman matrix infiniti)
    Electric: 2005 Gibson SG Special (57/57+), 2008 Gibson SG Classic, Homemade Telecaster (Benson pickups)
    Amps: 1960 Gibson Explorer Amp, 1973 Fender Princeton Amp, Fender Champion 300

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. -Will Rogers-

Re: Speaker suggestions for 1963 Gibson Falcon Amp

PLEASE DO NOT DO A MASTER VOLUME MOD!!!!

The amp is only 12 watts, it doesn't need one. And I hope you're leaving the 6EU7s in there as they are super important to the sound of these amps.

The Jensen C12R is also the best possible speaker for this amp - unless the thing is really tired I wouldn't replace it. If you simply must, the Celestion Gold is nice as is the Emi Cannabis Rex. But seriously - don't change it unless you absolutely have to.

See where I'm going with this? lol

IMO the Falcon is the best small 6V6 combo ever made - and I've had a ton of them at this point. Don't mess with perfection! lol

Comment

I can only offer semi-related help. I had a 63 Falcon with the original CTS speaker. I thought the amp sounded OK, but nothing special. After a few years I sold it. My 61 Gibson Discoverer (also a twin 6V6 amp, but parallel single-ended design) has a C12R that was reconed by Orange County Speakers. I'm not sure how accurate the cone design is--about 6 ribs and a larger than 1-inch dustcap--but it sounds FANTASTIC in that amp. Another Gibson amp I had was a GA-17RVT Scout. Different circuit, tubes, and speaker size than the Falcon, but from the same era. The original alnico "Gibson" speaker was totally anemic. I put an Eminence Copperhead in it and couldn't be happier.

Comment

The Gibson-branded CTSs that came in the very late '63s and used until they ceased production in '65 are indeed pretty crappy. But if you've got a C12R in that thing you really do have the best speaker possible for that circuit.

Comment

I agree about restoring vintage amps by keeping things to original spec, and only replacing weak components with the best that are currently available.

If you do change speakers, there's a lot of great ones out there, but I like how the Eminence Swamp Thang sounds with American style amps. It'll make that amp sound a lot bigger and bolder.

As far as cosmetics, I'd pull the chassis out and then clean the tolex really good with warm sudsy water.
          Then take a can of brown shoe polish and a shoe brush and lightly work it into the tolex - avoiding contact with the grill cloth. Use a shoe polish buffing brush to give it a light shine, and then wipe it down really good with a white cotton cloth till there's no more brown polish coming off. This technique will literally erase all filter dust in the crevices, and restore the amp to the way it looked when new. It will also rejuvenate the dry tolex.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Those are such cool little amps!!!

I also vote to leave it as-is...just a great old amp!

Speaker...in amps like that I'd put an old alnico Celestion, maybe a G12H30 or a Greenback...if you want to stick with a Jensen or American speaker an old cone P12Q would be cool.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I've had mine since 1994 and I'll be buried with that amp. The single best piece of gear I've ever owned in 35 years of playing.

Comment

Originally posted by erksin View Post
                PLEASE DO NOT DO A MASTER VOLUME MOD!!!!

The amp is only 12 watts, it doesn't need one. And I hope you're leaving the 6EU7s in there as they are super important to the sound of these amps.

The Jensen C12R is also the best possible speaker for this amp - unless the thing is really tired I wouldn't replace it. If you simply must, the Celestion Gold is nice as is the Emi Cannabis Rex. But seriously - don't change it unless you absolutely have to.

See where I'm going with this? lol

IMO the Falcon is the best small 6V6 combo ever made - and I've had a ton of them at this point. Don't mess with perfection! lol

While I agree wholeheartedly with this post, your argument might be more convincing if you didn't show the amp being used as a doorstop.
                Originally posted by DreX
                Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
                  While I agree wholeheartedly with this post, your argument might be more convincing if you didn't show the amp being used as a doorstop.
                  it's not...

It's sitting on a stand next to a door...
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
                    lol

Comment

Adding a master volume to that amp makes no sense whatsoever. If you modify something in a sensible way in order to make it a better tool, it makes sense. But a master volume does nothing at all to improve a low-wattage amp, so why do it? It sounds like a pointless technical exercise instead of something that has been well thought out to truly improve the amp.

As for speakers, there are some cool Webers for it.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

You know what's better than a vintage Gibson Falcon? Two vintage Gibson Falcons.

Comment

Working...
                        X