banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which multieffects? Line 6 M9 or Nova System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which multieffects? Line 6 M9 or Nova System?

Which system would be better? I like the Line 6 stuff but I've heard good things about the Nova from TC Electronics as well.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Which multieffects? Line 6 M9 or Nova System?

bump

Comment

I never tried the Nova System, but I love my M9.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i tried the nova. The overdrives were not exciting. i didnt bother exploring its other sounds cos i couldn't get a real nice organic or responsive feeling drive sound.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-22-2013, 04:31 AM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Imo no digital multieffects units ever do good drive pedal sounds - these two units are no exception.

I don't have any experience with the Nova, but I've gigged both the L6 M13 and M5 (which have the same effects as the M9). The best thing about these is probably the delays. Drives are average, and imo the modulation sounds are a bit weak too.
          http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Comment

They are both great units IMO, with different strengths and weaknesses. I think the Nova System is more versatile in terms of patch programming, and it is slightly better in terms of overall build quality. The Line 6 M series, however, has IMO nicer sounding effects, and a lot more of them to choose from.

If you want a big bag of tricks with everything from conventional stuff to all sorts of wacky synth/filter effects, the M9 is the way to go.

If you just want a really great, more traditional multi with fewer (but arguably better on average) effects and smarter routing/programming features, get the Nova System.

Side note: I never, ever, ever use multis for drive, distortion, or compression, so my comments above relate to the other types of effects available.
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
              They are both great units IMO, with different strengths and weaknesses. I think the Nova System is more versatile in terms of patch programming, and it is slightly better in terms of overall build quality. The Line 6 M series, however, has IMO nicer sounding effects, and a lot more of them to choose from.

If you want a big bag of tricks with everything from conventional stuff to all sorts of wacky synth/filter effects, the M9 is the way to go.

If you just want a really great, more traditional multi with fewer (but arguably better on average) effects and smarter routing/programming features, get the Nova System.

Side note: I never, ever, ever use multis for drive, distortion, or compression, so my comments above relate to the other types of effects available.
              Yeah, I would just plug it into the effects loop and use it for delays/reverbs/mod. I loved the M9s effects but the drives were awful. The fuzzes were unusable. A very light compression sounded good to my ears but anything more and it got bad quickly.

Comment

Ah, something I have good experience with. I started with a Nova system which I really liked in terms the quality of effects. In fact, I wholeheartedly (but respectfully) disagree with one Gibson175 about the drives. I don't know if this is something unique to TC, but the drives/distortions are ANALOG unlike the Line6 stuff. I really like TC drive and distortion. I own both the vintage overdrive and vintage dual distortion, and can attest to the fact that the Nova System sounds 99.5% like the analog pedals. The TC vintage overdrive is probably one of THE best tube screamer pedals you can get. The vintage distortion reminds me of a vintage RAT pedal that I used to have. I rarely use these pedals because they're not necessarily the sound I typically go for, but I keep them because they're too good to let go.

Now, back to the M9. I switched to the M9 because I had problems hooking up the Nova System in different amps AND because the reverb and some effects only sounded good through FX loops and not in the input of amps. I don't know if it was a defect or something, but I came across an M9 and really liked how easy it was to set up stomps and use it just like a pedal board. I personally think the quality of the effects are fairly good. It has been very useful, reliable, and sounds pretty good. I don't use the overdrives and distortions because, frankly, they sound all the same. However, at times, I have been able to get some cool sounding (albeit digital) driven sounds when used in front of amps like distortion pedals.

I mainly use reverb, chorus, and delay. From time to time I'll use a flanger or phaser. I don't find the flanger or phaser particularly great, but they can be dialed in for a decent sound. The reverb is great, the chorus is fairly good, and I particularly like one of the delays.

As a side note, I once had an EVH Flanger that was 18v or something and it was the best sounding flanger I ever used. I wish I still had it. I have yet to find a flanger in any modeling unit that can even come close. Maxon makes a fantastic flanger too. I had an Ibanez FL-9 (I think it's called), but I don't like the bypass in any of the 9 series pedals from Ibanez, and they all sound a bit grainy to me. However, even though the Ibanez stuff isn't as good as the Maxon or EVH, a lot of people get great sounds with them. I would say the M9 stuff, to my ears, is nearly as good at the Ibanez 9 series effects... keep in mind that I owned all of the 9 series effects and they were all from the 90's or very early 2000 I think. I don't know if Ibanez has improved them since.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my M9 and if I were to upgrade, I'd go with either a G-System or a G Major. Considering the gear whore that I am, I have stuck with my M9 for about 2 years already.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                  Yeah, I would just plug it into the effects loop and use it for delays/reverbs/mod. I loved the M9s effects but the drives were awful. The fuzzes were unusable. A very light compression sounded good to my ears but anything more and it got bad quickly.
                  The M9 and M13 have a loop patch point, which enables you to run some of the modules in front of the amp and some in the loop. When I had an M13 I set it up this way: the first two modules in front, and the other two in the loop. That was a big win for me, because I wanted to be able to use its effects either/or.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post

As a side note, I once had an EVH Flanger that was 18v or something and it was the best sounding flanger I ever used.
                    Oh man, totally! I have one of these, and it sounds amazing! The only thing is that it sucks up two outputs on my power supply to get to 18V, and the box is gigantic for a single effect.
                    http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                      Have you looked into the zoom G3 or G3X? It should work nicely for delay, reverb & mod in the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by sixstringsamurai333 View Post
                        Oh man, totally! I have one of these, and it sounds amazing! The only thing is that it sucks up two outputs on my power supply to get to 18V, and the box is gigantic for a single effect.
                        He he, well if it becomes too much for your pedalboard then let me know if you want to sell it

Comment

I use the M9 drives all the time- was able to clone the sound of my fav TS-alike pedals with it. I have no need to bring a separate drive pedal with power supply to gigs. I am sure the Nova is good too, I just have experience with the M9 and M13.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have the nova and I must say that the quality of effects is very very good. The drive sounds very analog because it is. I would use it for lighter gain stuff but not high gain. Its not hot enough for me. I dont like the layout on it really. It takes a while to get everything dialed in the way you want it and navigating it is a *****. Best sounding reverb ive ever heard on a pedal. compressor is nice and delay is amazing too. cant complain about the quality but the tuner on this thing sucks. cant get it to read half the time. Ive tried the TC polytune and it works much better than the one in this box. Overall the sound quality is excellent with the effects but like i said, navigating through it is a pain. Its too small. and no expression pedal!! real bummer.. I got mine for under 300 bucks and i use it for a number of effects, just not everything. But for 300 bucks, You get a lot of stuff to work with to pick and choose. just dont expect it to be your workhorse do it all pedal

Comment

I have the m5 and I love using it for the delays verbs and filter effects. The chorus and trems are fine too. The dirty sounds aren't ideal but you could totally use them in a pinch. I like the M5 because I can leave it at the end of my chain and any odd ball sound I can't get with my simple delay, phase 90, and diverse dirt pedals can come from the M5. The tuner is also really good it.

If I didn't like my smaller board I would probably spring for the M9.

Guitar->pedals->amp
                              Gear:
                              Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                              Epi Dot Natural
                              Partscaster blackie
                              Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                              VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                              Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X