Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input vs. Output level

Short and sweet...
    Ive got an AKAI parametric EQ rack... It says -10dB under both the INPUT & OUTPUT jack ... what does this mean ??
    -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
    -Hard Ash Strat Amdusias set
    -JPM100 x2 PAF pro/Super D + Breed/Transition
    -Vigier Shawn Lane Aph1-n/Norton
    -Suhr SSS Strat V60/V60/ML Bridge (SSCII)
    -RG7 BKP Brutes

Re: Input vs. Output level

It's the input and output level of your audio equipment. Some stuff uses +4 dB, some -10. Most of my balanced recording stuff uses +4 send/rec, usually -10 stuff is unbalanced.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I think it's for weather you have rack effects or not. My amp has a button on the back next to the FX loop that has +4 or -10 for if I use rack effects or regular pedals.
      Originally posted by KBliss
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      Originally posted by trevorus
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
        I think it's for weather you have rack effects or not. My amp has a button on the back next to the FX loop that has +4 or -10 for if I use rack effects or regular pedals.
        Alot of rack effects today only operate at -10. Anything with RCA or unbalanced outs is -10.

The switches between +4 and -10 are for signal to noise ratio and auto gain-staging between professional equipment (+4) and consumer or 'semi' professional equipment (-10). Manufactuers put them on alot of gear today to help with the mis-matched input/outputs. 'Back in the day' all studio gear was +4. All of it. Only with the introduction of less expensive home recording gear (semi professional) did manufactures offer -10 to lower cost. The line seems more blurry today, but in truth the majority of high end studio gear is still +4 only. Both my tube pres are that way.

In the real world, -10 equates to about 12db 'louder' input or output. This is needed to help/lower the increased noise floor that unbalanced equipment (-10) often brings.
        +4 higher voltage higher input/output / -10 lower voltage lower input/output. +4 is capable of receiving more input before distorting.

Cheers!~ Respect, RG
        Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

-10dB is usually the LINE level that consumist elecronics use to link different devices.
          If you have some CD, sound micro-chain, your PC' sound card or whatever else (I think, even keyboards), those usually have their outputs at LINE level.
          And, as said, this is usually (but not always) an unbalanced signal.

A guitar or bass will work at INSTRUMENT level and, usually, they need to be pre-amplified.

+4dB is often seen in Studio Gear, like mixing desks, compressors, EQ, AD/DA converters, etc.
          This is the STUDIO level of signal that is mainly used for studio outboard gear and, it's balanced.

It's not just a matter of what signal level (voltage) but, impedance has a big rol in those kind of level types.
          My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
          My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
          X