banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD this week. FINALLY scored my backup--and no SATAN'S EYEBALLS! (I hope)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD this week. FINALLY scored my backup--and no SATAN'S EYEBALLS! (I hope)

Had to get up at 7 this morning after going to bed at 3:30 to snipe it, but I got myself an EL-34 loaded, stock Hot Rod Mod Carvin XV-112. The ratfur model. I didn't even know these existed until a few days ago when it looked like none of the heads I wanted were going to work out. I was doing a search for something about the hot rod mod (BIG thanks to Ascension for mentioning it), when I saw this model in one of the threads. Looked on eBay and saw this one. It is the X100B in a combo. Has the stock Carvin British Series speaker, which people either love or hate, and the rarer hot rod mod. From what I've read, these seem to be the best sounding of the X100B heads as far as the distortion goes.

For me, the distortion side of the amp would be a plus. I only need it as a backup (or maybe it will become my main amp) for the clean side as I use a Vox Tonelab LE pedal for my sound. For a total of $317 shipped, including the footswitch and amp cover, I think I did okay. The seller says he was a Navy tech, and the caps are fine (although he didn't answer my question as to when the caps were changed). Oh well, as long as it makes sound, I'm happy. Can't wait to hear how it sounds by itself, through my Earcandy 2X12, and Hughes & Kettner Triamp 4X12. Sold my old red Epiphone Genesis to fund the purchase, so I hope it lives up to it because I loved that guitar. Still have the black one though.

Here's a link to the one I bought

And in case someone is interested in one, here's a link to another that's up there now. This one has the rare factory hot rod mod too. You can tell because if it does, the Master Volume is labeled "pull hot rod" instead of "pull hi lead.

There's an XV-212 as well, but the price is way too high imo. He does have a best offer though. Shipping is included, but it doesn't have the hot rod mod.

Again, I just needed an amp with a great clean channel, and this supposedly fit the bill. If I can get the distortion channel to sound the way I want it too, it will make a great backup in case either my 71 Univox OR the Tonelab has a problem on a gig. WOO HOO! New amp days ROCK.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: NAD this week. FINALLY scored my backup--and no SATAN'S EYEBALLS! (I hope)

Congrats!
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

I can't seem to win, even when I win! The guy refunded my payment saying UPS is trying to charge him two hundred bucks to pack and ship this amp from GA to NJ. The shipping cost listed was forty something bucks. I would be willing to fork over some more for shipping because I did the calcs on Fedex, UPS, and USPS and it did average around fifty five. Sounds like he just doesn't want to sell? Oh well. Not gonna cry over a cheap Carvin, but I really wanted this amp.

700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Bummer.

Tho Hot Rod Mod has me interested,tho,as I got a Carvin X1001x12 combo @ a Pawn Shop for rather cheap...
        "Scalloped & Stickered"
        A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
          Bummer.

Tho Hot Rod Mod has me interested,tho,as I got a Carvin X1001x12 combo @ a Pawn Shop for rather cheap...
          Yeah, that's why I wanted this one. I might grab the other one, but then I'm going into the $350 range shipped, probably caps and tubes, so over $500 for an amp with no resale value if I don't need it in a year or two.

Comment

The gods are telling you that you don't want a Carvin amp.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

These would have to pop up local to joisey every so often, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                The gods are telling you that you don't want a Carvin amp.
                Funny you say that GJ, because that is exactly what I thought as well. Third deal that fell through. Ebay for Chrst's sake. How often does that happen???

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                These would have to pop up local to joisey every so often, no?
                Yes they do. At least the heads do. I've only been looking for a few weeks though. Can't remember what turned me on to these amps, but I like the clips I've heard, and the price is right. Again, I only NEED the clean channel, but who wouldn't want to see if it rocks some great distortion, lol.
                Last edited by 75lespaul; 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Hmm.. that stinks.. Both that you didnt get the amp AND his story.. you could report him from welching on the deal..
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Bummer.

The Hot Rod mod was cool but went through several big changes.
                    The one I had was a very very early one and was amazing. Sounded like a Train-wreck the way it would compress then bloom into the most glorious feed-backing sustaining scream you have ever heard. I had no idea it was rather rare and when some one offered me 5 times what I had paid for it I sold her thinking what a sap I'll just buy another one.
                    Every Hot Rod Mod X100 i have played/heard was pretty good but that first one I had WOW!
                    Good luck on finding a nice one and also the series II Valvemasters with the 2 controls on the back are monsters on the cheap.
                    I had a Clubmaster 100 watt 1/12 combo version at one time that was flat a BEAST!
                    Here is another live clip from my old church of the old X100B series II HRM head in action. I was running my stone stock Pink 1990 X220C Carvin with only a Rockman half rack space delay in the effects loop and nothing else here.

Vai played Blue Powder on one of these first gen Hot Rod Mod X100B's and that was who they were first designed for.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Bummer.

you did?? cool! Id like to check it!
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                      X