smoke from amp...what happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoke from amp...what happened?

while jamming smoke started coming from the amp (marshall 1987). i shut it down and started it up again after 5 minutes and it was fine. i continued to jam.

when i got home i opened it up and all of the guts looked fine, visually. the amp sounds good still. i haven't replaced the tubes.

my theory is the bias was adjusted hot with the previous tubes. i popped in some groove tubes "7" power (high power) tubes and the smoke incident happened after that. previous jams with the groove tubes were fine.

what could it have been?

Re: smoke from amp...what happened?

Have you checked the fuse? It didn't blow if it started working again, but something may be fishy around there.

Comment

Could also be an insect that got burned up or something along those lines.

Comment

yeah i was thinking it may have been cobwebs or spiderwebs maybe. the smoke wasn't billowing out or anything. it happened at the start of this spring.

Comment

The tone magic is in the smoke, and that's why it's always best to keep the smoke safely inside the amp.
          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

do any of the tubes redplate when you play now?
            A puff of smoke usually means a burned resistor so id be looking inside again much more closely.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              do any of the tubes redplate when you play now?
              A puff of smoke usually means a burned resistor so id be looking inside again much more closely.
              i'll look again. but i recall the power tubes had their normal orange glow. all of the resistors look new. if one cooked would it be easy to spot.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                The tone magic is in the smoke, and that's why it's always best to keep the smoke safely inside the amp.
                It's also why letting the magic smoke out of electrical components usually means they stop working.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                X