Talk to me about the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

I've got a V1 Malekko Ekko 616, and it's a fantastic sounding delay. It only really does the straight ahead delay sound (two if you get crazy with the modulation, which is impossible to tweak on the fly), but it sounds awesome.

The EHX has tap tempo though, and you can simulate some of the multi-head pink floyd stuff with its subdivision button. Seems a lot more tweakable. Reviews I've read seem to indicate it's a good delay sound certainly, but I'm suspicious especially considering the price of the pedal.

Anybody have one? How do you like it?
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Re: Talk to me about the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

i have a memory boy, but i don't use the chorus or vibrato functions. if i got an expression pedal i probably would though.

also, the boy doesn't have a tap tempo like the memory man does.

the delay sounds great through the effects loop, but the effect level is pretty sensitive when running through the front of the amp.
    the delay time gets quick enough to do rockabilly or slow enough to do brian may type selfie-harmonies. you can also stick a plug in the pedal jack to slow down the delay time further.

i've had mine a while, and it's staying put. BUT, i had to do it over again, i would have saved longer for a memory man.
    Last edited by rumblebox; 10-31-2013, 09:45 AM.
    Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

This is the one I'm talking about:

It's supposed to be just like the memory boy but with a tap tempo and other features. But same basic sound.

Comment

OH the deluxe boy! yea that one is awesome. do it.

actually, i dont even think the memory man has a tap tempo like the deluxe memory boy. i guess that's the one i was thinking of anyway.
        Last edited by rumblebox; 10-31-2013, 10:01 AM.
        Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Found one for a price too good to pass up.

My camera phone is all I have for recording but I can do a comparo video if I have some free time when it comes in sometime next week.

Reviews are mostly good, with the occasional "wtf is all this noise b/s" review. So, we'll see. At any rate I can sell it without taking too much of a loss if I don't like it.

Comment

Got in the memory boy, played it some. Not a lot but here are my initial impressions:

- The external gain knob is pretty sweet
            - Much more versatile than my Malekko ekko v1
            - Malekko ekko v1 has longer available delays and a noticeably better delay sound
            - The square wave delay modulation gets you some cool sounds (on the DMB)
            - Tap tempo is *awesome* for rhythmic delays, but useless for 'ambient' delay stuff (faux-reverb and the like). Interplay with the note subdivision button makes for some interesting stuff
            - The button which lets you switch between different delay subdivisions is interesting at first but not as useable as you might think. Can't do the multi-head pink floyd delay stuff (like the Catalinbread Echorec does)

The conceptual architecture of the pedal is awesome - the effects loop and expression pedal out make this capable of more sounds than you'll know what to do with. The execution won't blow you away, and the sound quality itself isn't what you would call inspiring, but it provides a breathtaking array of decent sounds. This is more of a pedal that you use live, than a pedal you set up carefully to record with.

There are pedals that cost less than $200 (the price of the DMB) that sound better (MXR carbon copy. malekko 616, etc. etc.) and I'm sure there are pedals that do more. But, if you're looking for a delay pedal that can do cool chorus/vibrato sounds, and crazy feedback pitch modulation broken video game stuff, and slight delay for faux reverb, and have other pedals in the delay loop allowing you to do things like pitch shift, or wah/envelope filter/ring mod/whatever your imagine allows, the EHX deluxe memory boy is one of a kind. It's a great space saver in that it can do the work of like 5 pedals in the space of 1.5 (it's a pretty big enclosure).

I really like what it offers. If EHX had gotten better sounding delay chips (it's insanely difficult to replace the ones in there unless you're like the jackie chan of soldering or something), this pedal would be hands down my favorite analog delay. As it stands, I really like what it can do, but it won't replace your booteek echo/delay/chorus/vibrato pedal anytime soon. It can do a colorable imitation of those things though.

Comment

Working...
            X