banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were buying a cheap amp...which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you were buying a cheap amp...which one?

Originally posted by 75lespaul View Post
    From what I've read, and then heard on sound clips, the "fuzzy" models, aka ratfur, were covered with a carpet like covering instead of vinyl or tolex. Some had a factory hot rod mod that fattened up the sound and when they came with EL34s, were supposed to be the best sounding models they ever made. Ugly as hell, but ugly doesn't make sound, lol.
    Hot Rod mod was a factory 20 DB gain boost and turns those into metal monsters. On the X100B's Carvin was and is notorious for making unannounced design changes in their amps. All of them have great cleans and many have great high gain tones and many don't the right one however is pure magic! On the higher gain tones just about any X100B with the block not script letters ( Post 1988) is going to have a decent gain channel.
    On the Steath vs X100B I have owned both and the right Hot Rod Mod version of a X100B is a monster and will bury that Lee Jackson designed Stealth in high gain tones!
    Owned the HRD also and a good X100B is going to nuke the Fenders both in cleans and high gains + has a MUCH better build quality than the HRD ever though of having!
    The old X100B's are one of the most underrated and best bang for the $ amps out there! The later EL 34 versions sound the best and make sure you get the footswitch because they run around $75 if you can find one.
    The new Carvin footswitches won't work without some mods.
    Another Carvin that is a underrated killer with a great clean and drive is the series II Valvemaster that replaced the X100b in the early 90's. Look for the ones with the 2 controls on the back.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-03-2013, 04:09 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
      Hot Rod mod was a factory 20 DB gain boost and turns those into metal monsters. On the X100B's Carvin was and is notorious for making unannounced design changes in their amps. All of them have great cleans and many have great high gain tones and many don't the right one however is pure magic! On the higher gain tones just about any X100B with the block not script letters ( Post 1988) is going to have a decent gain channel.
      On the Steath vs X100B I have owned both and the right Hot Rod Mod version of a X100B is a monster and will bury that Lee Jackson designed Stealth in high gain tones!
      Owned the HRD also and a good X100B is going to nuke the Fenders both in cleans and high gains + has a MUCH better build quality than the HRD ever though of having!
      The old X100B's are one of the most underrated and best bang for the $ amps out there! The later EL 34 versions sound the best.
      You are making me jones for that Carvin so badly, lol.
      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
        Traynor all the way... My friend has the YCV80 2x12 combo and with pedals and it cranked with the expander switch on it sounds BIG and beefy.. Love it! and it is self biasing and Traynor stuff is built to last!
        I like Traynors YCV stuff a lot, they're really decent, dependable amps. Takes pedals well, pretty useable/effective EQ to change the way the amp sounds, decent clean/gain channels. The one knock I have against them is that the spring reverb circuit that they use is pretty bland. It does the job, but isn't as deep/lush as I'd like to hear.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah the reverb is nothing to jump up and down about but if you just use a little for some space to your sound you will be fine. I actually like warmer reverbs that come on Mesas than the bright fender reverbs so I don't mind the Traynor YCV verb.

the 4x10 is a steal at that price just pay a bit if you want the reverb fixed from a shop, throw some new tubes in it and throw some pedals in front and you got beastly amp.

The way I see it the YCV series is like a better version of the Hot Rod Deville/Deluxe amps.
          Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
          Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
          Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Gorilla amps..... Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Already bought the (cheapest/best) amp for me out there

My killer little 15W Goldea Rex 3200 head + 2x10 cab.

With a pedal..

All totally dry (no Fx)/ mic'ed with a handheld recorder...

I just love the sound that comes out of this amp...greasy/wet, warm, fat, sweet shred/classic metal (right up to death metal) tones all day long.. \m/
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I'll just repeat myself.

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                You can get a Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo in the $400 range used easily.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                X