wrong phase inverter tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrong phase inverter tube?

ok i have a blackstar ht stage 60 2x12 comno, that i love. the power tubes went bad about 3 months ago so i took it back to the dealer i purchased it from and they re tubed it for me. when i got it back the amp was LOUD way louder then usual, but i kep using it cause it still sounded great. last week it started making a vibrato type sound where the amp sounded as if it was cutting in and out fast, until the signal from the guitar dimenshed a little then it would make a solid sound. if i turned my volume pot down on my guitar the vibrato goes away, but the amp still sound flat. during working on the amp this weekend i discovered that the music store put the wrong tube in the phase inverter circuit. the amp is made for an ecc82 and they used an ecc83, which from what i understand can be swapped out in the preamp circuit but not in the phase inverter. is there a good chance this has damaged the amp?

Re: wrong phase inverter tube?

ok just to let you guys and girls know I got my amp working good again. I replaced the ecc83 with a 12au7 after getting the ecc83 tested and finding out it was erratic and shorted. the gentleman that tested the tube explained that the ecc83 can not handle the current the that was placed on it, and he mentioned that actually the pi tube is the hardest working tube in any amp, and if it is not sized correctly it willnot be able to handle the stress

Comment

Working...
    X