Vintage fender amp questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage fender amp questions

Im out of my depth when it comes to most things amps. Anyways, i have a few local deal offers that im interested in.

1. 1967 fender blackface vibro champ, all original, only the electrolytic caps have been replaced, no footswitch. Price is $650

2. 1970 fender twin reverb. Power tubes have been replaced with JJs, original speakers reconed, plug changed to 3 prong and caps replaced, original footswitch included. Price is $800

Now, i know i love the sounds of both these amps. I dont know what a decent price for them today is, thats mainly where im looking for some help.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Re: Vintage fender amp questions

im leaning more towards the twin because it takes pedals so damn well...

ugh, i dont know. both such awesome amps.

Comment

Hard to be precise without pics/links but IMO, the Vibro Champ is VERY overpriced unless it is in immaculate mint condition with vintage tubes in it. Those amps typically top out at about $500 in EXC condition.

The Twin is a good deal if those speakers are JBLs and the amp is clean and in good working order. If no JBLs and average condition I'd go no higher than maybe $650.

I know it seems weird that a little 6 watt amp is only a few hundred or less than a 100 watter, but the market for Twins is not great. Too loud for most places anymore and they made a boatload of those things so super easy to find them cheap all day every day.

Comment

FWIW I have a 1965 VibroChamp and while a great little amp for home noodling, you won't come close to keeping up with a drummer with that thing. So if that is a factor, skip it. You can clean that amp up significantly so that it takes pedals well - a more efficient speaker, 5751 preamp tube in v1, and a JJ 6V6 will make it sound like a mini Twin.

Comment

Yeah i know what you are saying minus pics/links, but like i said, its from a friend who knows the sellers.

The vibro is ALL original (minus caps) and in top notch condition. The twin has the original JBLs. Both amps are clean and work fully (supposedly, obviously im not forking over cash till i go check them out in person).

The thing i love about the twins is that they still sound so great at low (relatively speaking) volumes. My fave thing is amps with volume and tons of headroom. I havent actually played a lot of the vibro champs, but the ones i have i definitely dug them.

Comment

Well like I said, that VC is stupid high priced at $650 - my '65 is as clean as they come and I'd be hard pressed to get $650 for it.

Comment

Damn Erskin, that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Blackface Vibro Champs have been selling over $500 for the better part of a few years. I don't think anyone can buy a blackface Vibro Champ for $400 anymore.

So, it's maybe $100-150 over a good deal but the market on Blackfaces has not waned much even in this economy. I personally love the Blackface era and would pay a premium over a Silverface.

Vibro Champs are beautiful tone machines... Twins just suck... I can't stand em'.

For $650, a lack of a footswitch sort of sucks... hell I'd even expect a cover for that price.

The deal right now in Blackface collecting is the Super Reverb... for some odd reason, they have been fetching lower than expected prices across the board.

One can easily get a decent Blackface Super Reverb for $1500. Now THAT is an amp!
              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Hm, a blackface Princeton reverb from 67 I have seen much higher than $650 and it is not much bigger than a Vibro champ. Why are Princetons so much more? Or have I been overestimating the value of mine all these years?

I used to have a 70s era silverface vibro champ and I LOVED it. Probably pawned it for beer money in college.... such a dumba$$.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydro View Post
                  Hm, a blackface Princeton reverb from 67 I have seen much higher than $650 and it is not much bigger than a Vibro champ. Why are Princetons so much more? Or have I been overestimating the value of mine all these years?

I used to have a 70s era silverface vibro champ and I LOVED it. Probably pawned it for beer money in college.... such a dumba$$.
                  BF/early SF drip edge Princeton Reverbs are completely different animals price-wise than Vibro Champs. They are extremely sought after and prices are friggin' crazy for those amps in even mediocre condition. Most BFPRs in decent condition can fetch $1200 easily and way more if they're minty. One of the hottest vintage Fenders to own for sure.

Comment

I think the Twin is the way to go. They are powerhouses and sound great.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      I think the Twin is the way to go. They are powerhouses and sound great.
                      The reconed JBLs are worth $400 for the pair alone. It's a great price even if it's a little beat.

Comment

Bigger Fenders just don't command a ton of money unless they're early '60s white tolex models or VERY clean BF/early SF models.

We just got this stupid clean '68 Dual Showman Reverb with two 15" JBLs and the original vinyl covers (!!!) for less than $1500:

Comment

Hmm, I don't know anything about vintage Fenders, but good luck...
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I think im actually going to pass on both. As it turns out the speakers are the Oxford 12T6s, not the JBLs. And from talking to people and checking out prices it seems i can get a silverface vibro champ for significantly cheaper and they basically sound the same.

Oh well, all excited for nothing, lol.

Comment

If you pay more than $375 for a '70s VC you definitely paid too much.

I think you're making the wise choice passing on both.

Comment

Working...
                              X