banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What amps is the Marshall Class 5 the most similar to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What amps is the Marshall Class 5 the most similar to?

I know it's supposed to be a mini Bluesbreaker, but what else?

Doesn't have to be Marshall.

Basically I want this amp but in 15-40w.
    -IM

Re: What amps is the Marshall Class 5 the most similar to?

I'll tell you the amp you're really looking for. The Marshall 2061X halfstack. It's based off an early 70's Lead and Bass 20, which went under appreciated back then, but guys like Jimmy Vivino use as a full blown plexi at talk show band volumes.

They aren't cheap, but they are worth the money. Clones can be built cheaper as well.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The mini bluesbreaker thing is a myth. It may look like one, but it has basically no cleans and has more of a 70s crunchy thing going on.

2061 or 1974x would both be somewhat similar, but if you were considering those, I would look into the Avatar 18w, which is a modded 1974, and can be had with 6v6 tubes instead of el84s if you want.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
        The mini bluesbreaker thing is a myth. It may look like one, but it has basically no cleans and has more of a 70s crunchy thing going on.
        This. Zero headroom. If the amp is even physically located in the same zipcode as a guitar with humbuckers, it will distort.

With single coils and a reasonable drummer, good things can happen, however.

Originally posted by nedcronin
        Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
        Originally posted by metalmachine
        dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Ok that's fair, I guess I was talking strictly tone. I'll look into those amps you mentioned
          -IM

Comment

What about that one device that takes a low wattage signal and amplifies it before sending it to a cab. I'm totally blanking out on the company and device names.

Comment

2061 or 1974x would both be somewhat similar, but if you were considering those, I would look into the Avatar 18w, which is a modded 1974, and can be had with 6v6 tubes instead of el84s if you want.
              What would the differences in tone be from the el84's and the 6v6's?
              -IM

Comment

I have a love hate affair with mine. It seems to just work great with one guitar,and the next I can never dial it in to sound worth a damn. My Tele sounded great, my Hamer ME sounded great, my new Les Paul sounds great, my 335 and Strat, not so much. I have tried a few different speakers and the 12H30 worked best for me, as it helps to beef up the amp in frequencies where it lacks and makes the EQ abit more versatile. Mullard RI el84 also smooths it out the beskt.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
                  What would the differences in tone be from the el84's and the 6v6's?
                  6v6s sound richer, bigger lows and highs...they have a cool barking midrange when pushed...many amp builders feel they make for a better plexi type tone in a low watt amp. El84s have a high midrange focus, can be very glassy/brittle in the top end,and strident in the midrange when pushed hard.

Comment

6v6s sound richer, bigger lows and highs...they have a cool barking midrange when pushed...many amp builders feel they make for a better plexi type tone in a low watt amp. El84s have a high midrange focus, can be very glassy/brittle in the top end,and strident in the midrange when pushed hard.
                    Are you SURE you don't like the tweed Champ circuit??
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                      Are you SURE you don't like the tweed Champ circuit??
                      Its not that I do not like it Ben, rather its a fun diversion type thing, and not an amp I would use on a daily basis.

Comment

I love my Class 5, you can get more headroom out of it with tube and speaker swaps. I just retubed with all vintage Mullards in mine, but the speaker I tried is too bright (15-watt Weber ceramic Blue Pup), so still looking for a different speaker (going to try a 10" Greenback next). The Chinese Celestion that came in the amp is 15 watts power handling, and made just for that amp, the UK-made Greenback 10 is a 30 watt speaker, I'm hoping it will be less bright. I've read that guys have tried a lot of different speakers in their Class 5's, but there is no consensus yet on what is best from what I've read. On the whole, though, I love getting that Marshall tone at reduced volume, my only complaint is that mine (the second version) is really complicated to do speaker and tube swaps on, as the tubes face forward toward the speaker, so you have to remove the back panels and the chassis to do either (and they use security head screws to make it even harder to remove the back panels). The last version is easier to change tubes on, they now face downward from the chassis. Still trying to dial mine in, but it's a keeper. Loud enough to jam with a band with, surprising since it's only 5 watts.

Al
                        Last edited by Zombiwoof; 01-27-2014, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Having had a Class 5, I agree. I liked the amp, but it didn't make the threshold for the PITA of moving across the country.

I also currently own the Trinity 18 TMB. Absolutely killer amp. There are are few variations of the Trinity 18, check them out! Reasonable prices for a hand wired amp, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                            Having had a Class 5, I agree. I liked the amp, but it didn't make the threshold for the PITA of moving across the country.

I also currently own the Trinity 18 TMB. Absolutely killer amp. There are are few variations of the Trinity 18, check them out! Reasonable prices for a hand wired amp, too.
                            Captain Crunch really was a good match with the Class5 and my V30 1x12. In fact the best match yet. They really complemented each other.

Will check that Trinity18 out. With the new les paul, a new amp has been put on hold, but Iffins I can move a bunch of stuff?....maybe.

Comment

Working...
                            X