marshall 6100 amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall 6100 amp?

finally got my hands on one of these, wont have it for a week. curious to know your thoughts on these? its the normal black tolex one.
    There are three basic types, Mr. Pizer The Wills, the Wont's, and the cant's. The Wills accomplish everything, the Wont's oppose everything, and the cant's won't try anything. - V.I.N.CENT

Re: marshall 6100 amp?

I've never owned one, but I'm still pissed about the time that Pawn America in Fargo decided to slash the price on one that had been sitting there, overpriced, for about a year. Missed it by about 5 minutes. The pisser was that the guy who was buying it had no clue about guitar amps. He was just some jackass who was going to flip it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Capitalist, but I also believe in individuals having some self restraint.

Aside from that, from what I understand, it was kind of the predecessor of the JVM. They both have MIDI switching capability, and IIRC, different modes for each channel. If you do a YouTube sesrch for Marshall JVM vs 6100, there's a video or two of a Brit doing an A/B comparison of each amp.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Those are great amps. I prefer my EL 34 equipped model slightly more than my 6100LM with 6L6s. It's just a bit crunchier.
      '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgangs, '08 SanDimas, '09 SanDimas.

Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2502, assorted 4X12 & 2X12 Cabs.
      A smattering of some little boxes, and a couple mounted lighty up things.

Comment

If you ever have any trouble with the MIDI chip, check in at the Marshall Roadhouse or Marshall Forum, they can set you up with one fairly cheap. That just happens to be one of the few parts Marshall con no longer supply.
        '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgangs, '08 SanDimas, '09 SanDimas.

Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2502, assorted 4X12 & 2X12 Cabs.
        A smattering of some little boxes, and a couple mounted lighty up things.

Comment

i do plan on doin some mods to it. i read about a bunch of stuff you can do to these, which i will try. main reason i want it is its versatility. my carvin legacy is going bye bye, its too loud, and not doin what i need. another reason is satch used these a bunch for a while and i enjoyed the tones he got out of it live. its a sick amp.
          There are three basic types, Mr. Pizer The Wills, the Wont's, and the cant's. The Wills accomplish everything, the Wont's oppose everything, and the cant's won't try anything. - V.I.N.CENT

Comment

it has 5881/6l6 tubes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jigglyshred View Post
              it has 5881/6l6 tubes in.
              Thats okay. They can be converted to EL34, but you might like the 6L6 version.

Comment

Ive never played one, but based one specs and abilities, it was my dream amp for years... Im jealous!
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The 6100 was Satriani's amp of choice back in the day. His recent return to Marshall was largely due to his fondness of that amp and the fact that he missed its sound so much.
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I had the chance and passed on a brand new blue 30th anni BITD for cheap at a going out of business sale. Stupid mistake. Really liked that amp. Adrian Smith used one for a long time in the studio.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Was the gain on those pretty brutal?? IIRC they had like 6 or 8 preamp tubes. maybe they didnt all run on one channel, but I always assumed they would be screamers..
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        Was the gain on those pretty brutal?? IIRC they had like 6 or 8 preamp tubes. maybe they didnt all run on one channel, but I always assumed they would be screamers..
                        nah somewhere between the 2000s regular crunch and ultra gain I believe.
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I do not recall it having a whole lot more gain than a 900 series maxed out on both preamp controls.
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

what would you guys suggest? 6l6 of el-34? i really like the compressed sound the 6l6s have in this. i know that whole debate on tubes has raged since the dawn of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                              The 6100 was Satriani's amp of choice back in the day. His recent return to Marshall was largely due to his fondness of that amp and the fact that he missed its sound so much.

i heard STRONG rumors that vai is being courted by marshall as well as of late. the carvins havent really done too well.

Comment

Working...
                              X