[B]Noisy rectifier tube...never knew it could happen[/B]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [B]Noisy rectifier tube...never knew it could happen[/B]

I have been trying to diagnose the source of a metallic buzzing/ringing in my amp for months. Checked for microphonic preamp and power tubes. Tightened all bolts. Tonight I finally decided to tap on the rectifier tube, and there it was plain as day.

Re: Noisy rectifier tube...never knew it could happen

I had a similar issue with one of my amps, where it would make a sound like shaking a dead incandescent light bulb on powering on ... took a bit of looking round and finally I swapped out the rectifier valve on a whim, and that was the issue!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Now I have to figure out a similar sounding problem in my Traynor YBA-1. Solid state rectifer. Doesn't seem to be preamp or power tubes. Unless I overheated the voice coils of all four of my speakers, I don't have an obvious place to start. Solder joints look good. Guess it's time to dig deeper.

Comment

What manufacture of that rectifier tube so I Know what to stay away from in the future...5U4,5AR4? Still using an 5AR4 Mullard in my BF Fender..Has been in this amp since 89..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
        X