Amp Experts Chime In On Peavey Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Experts Chime In On Peavey Amps

I have always liked Peavey amps. I had a JSX and a 6505 head a few years back and they seemed pretty reliable. I never really had any complaints about their sound, and the JSX had some cool features such as an external bias, but the weight and size of their amps are excessive. I remember taking the silver JSX plate off the front of my JSX head because that reduced the weight by a few pounds.

Peavey has proven some revered, solid tones. They make their amps in the USA, and they keep their prices very reasonable (more so than Mesa Boogie for example). However, I've always wondered whether Peavey amps are built with quality or if they have shoddy workmanship and cheap components. What is is low-down on Peavey quality?

I have seen many quality issues with their Valve King, solid state amps, Classic series, and Windsor amps. As for amps like the 6505 & JSX, they seem reliably built.

I'd like to know exactly how Peavey is rated in terms of quality, and in comparison to other US manufacturers like Mesa Boogie or even Canadian made Traynor amps which seem to be a very comparable brand to Peavey (pricewise, but seem to have a more reliable reputation). What can you guys tell me?

Re: Amp Experts Chime In On Peavey Amps

I'm assuming the Windsor, Valveking and Vypyr are built in Asia. The XXX/6505/Butcher/etc "nicer" amps come out of Mississippi, where the main US location is. I imagine the UK manufacturing spots produce the Budda and Trace Elliot stuff like they used to, only under Peavey's banner now.

I may be wrong about the Windsor and Valveking, but they are budget-oriented amps so there will be cost-cutting measures. wave-soldered PCBs, QC on smaller %s of the outgoing amps, etc.

Older amps are going to be tanklike builds with some shoddy components inside to ruin the whole thing, since the 80s and 90s were the nadir of American manufacturing. It combined the lack of responsibility and QC and attempts to tighten budgets to afford all that cocaine.

I am an expert from the internet, so my credentials are beyond reproach. Look, my gloss says "nerdy nerd". I'm f**king smart, yo.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
      I'd like to know exactly how Peavey is rated in terms of quality, and in comparison to other US manufacturers like Mesa Boogie or even Canadian made Traynor amps which seem to be a very comparable brand to Peavey (pricewise, but seem to have a more reliable reputation). What can you guys tell me?
      I'd imagine it's the same with any other major retailer. Look at Marshall for instance, they make some pretty shoddy mid range amps. JCM 2000 series for instance (solid amps) but they lacked in quality. I went through 3 DSLs for crying outloud. One was DOA.

Look at Gibson guitars (for the most part) lower end models have flaws, but as you go up the chain, they (usually) get better.

I'm not a Peavey fan by any means, but I respect 5150/6505/JSX
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Originally posted by Gear Used
      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

Valveking and Windsor are definitely made in China. I've had a few Valvekings, didn't have any problems with them.

The only issue with the solid state amps that I've seen has been dirty effects loops. Once you clean those, they're good to go.

They could be cheaper *because* they're made in Mississippi, cost of living is much lower there so labor costs can be kept down vs the California based amp manufacturers.
        Last edited by dominus; 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

The old ones were voiced with more eq shelving too. Less highs and low-lows to push more out in the mids where guitars are supposed to live. That was a bretty gud piece of engineering on Hartley's part; guys were needing more power due to no PA, so he made solid state preamps and put a metric crapton of powertubes in, and made sure there wasn't a lot of leftover outlying sound that would suck power.
          Originally posted by Funkfingers
          Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

They have an old habit of skimping on rectifier diodes, which is why my VTM120 blows fuses and has a fried ribbon connector.
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I haven't heard of any issues with the Classic series. Worst thing I've ever had happen to mine was a power tube blew and took the main fuse with it. Sound as a pound otherwise. I've had mine for nine years, and it was far from new when I bought it. I can't speak to any of the other amps, with the exception of the JSX. I've personally seen and played several with constant humming issues, which made me shy away from purchasing one. Awesome tones though.

Comment

I've always thought the outer shell of Mesa amps looked higher quality. Both brands have a solid track record of being extremely durable though. Mesa cabs are arguably higher quality then Peavey.

I see the difference between Mesa and Peavey as similar to the difference between PRS and Gibson.

One is more ornate and "shiny", the other is the industry standard geared toward middle class musicians. There's obviously exceptions to both of those descriptions, however.
                My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                Originally posted by CTN
                I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Working...
                X