A shout out for Crates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A shout out for Crates

I remember seeing the ads in Guitar World and Guitar One with Marty Friedman in the late 90s/00s but never knew Mustaine used them. Cool. I seem to remember CC Deville in a Blue Voodoo ad too at some point. Over here when they pop up they go for about £150. Think a half stack went for £200 last year on the bay!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Reaper of Doom; 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

You have to watch those "V" series amps & heads, if they're the newer ones built by LOUD tachnologies / Mackie they don't even use a power transformer. They use a solid state switching mode power supply, kinda like a computer power supply. And if/when they go out on ya, LOUD / Mackie basically tell you to throw it away. The will NOT repair it even if you pay them, and they won't sell you a new one either. I had a blown one in a V100 I bought blown, thinking I could repair it. I got real ticked off at those people over that !!!! Mine got toasted when an EL34 tube shorted in it.

Comment

I had no idea Crates were actually worth taking seriously. I played a couple of really crappy sounding ones back in the late '80s/early '90s, and have ignored them ever since. Now I know to pay more attention on Craigslist. Thanks!

Comment

My little V Series V1512. Great little practice amp. It is one of the "made in USA" Crate/ST Louis amps.

sigpic
          http://www.heddatheband.com

New HEDDA CD now available:
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA video:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LuSksz-J8

Comment

I've got an FX65 which is okay, but nothing to brag about. Served me pretty well for several years, but I've upgraded now.

However, I have a real nice little BX-25 bass amp that sounds amazing for such a little fella! I only play bass for home recording or the occasional church service, but it gets me through quite nicely!

[emoji450]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk [emoji441]
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Old Crates pretty all right

Blue Voodoo series, of course

The BX combos are great bass amps
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have much love for this one.

Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Bought this after I had to sell off some equipment and my main amps many years ago. Swapped out the original speaker with a PA 12 inch speaker and improved the clean channel. It responded to soft or hard picking and note separation in jazz chording came thorough nicely. Really a nice amp to play while watching tv or a movie. Nothing could help the gain channel - buzzy is the mildest word I could use to describe it and the gain channel showed the bad side of crappy SS gain.

Now for the two best features of this amp. Turning it on and the control panel was backlit with red lights. This was a nice touch at night. Next up are the effects. Had some fair effects, however, there was only one adjustable parameter - level. It did have two that I really liked - slap back with reverb and a doubler and both effects helped give the amp a fuller sound and made it more enjoyable to play. Its long gone now. Yes, I could call it a lousy ss amp. But as I think back, it was the best I could afford at the time and I really enjoyed having it.
                  Attached Files
                  That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                  And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

My first 10 minutes with this Flexwave 120. Decent tones all by itself.
                    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I have a turd of G60 amp that I can't wait to be rid of, but for now is what I have and am grateful that I have one. Someday will own a good amp lol

Comment

Original Vintage Club series

I love them!
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                          Original Vintage Club series

I love them!
                          I've got a VC212e cabinet I got in a trade (no head) that sounds great... really rounds out the low end!
                          Originally posted by The Commodores?
                          "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I recently loaned my crate gfx practice amp to a friend. he played it like twice then it sat in his grimy house and got covered in dirt from his crazy dogs running in and out of the house all day. I cleaned it up and started using it again - I forgot how useful it was, especially with the onboard delay. It even has a speaker out, pretty cool. I have to admit though, I dig the sound of a crunch box through it's clean channel better than it's onboard overdrive, but in a pinch it's fine.

Comment

Working...
                            X