Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for Heavy Lonestar Combo

Hi folks,

Just got back from band practice. I took my Mesa Lonestar 2x12 combo and after carting it's 80lbs up and down stairs, into my car, across a parking lot and back again my hips are killing me. Sad thing is I love the tone and in today's practice it sounds perfect for the classic rock and blues we play. I have casters on the amp but it's still quite hefty lifting it into the car and up the stairs in my house. I bought the amp in my mid 20s when I felt physically indestructible but now I'm in my mid 30s the aches and pains are already setting in (thanks to 10 years of desk job paper pushing).

Wondering about trading it in for the head version of the amp. I already have an Avatar 2x12 Cab I could play it through. Wondering if any other folks have any advice for transporting heavy combo amps (twins , vox ac30s etc) or if anyone thinks trading it in for the head would be a smart idea?

Thanks!

Re: Options for Heavy Lonestar Combo

Thats the exact reason why I only go with 1x12 combos instead of 2x12s or 4x10s a 1x12 is not that hard to move around. Only 2x12 combo I might consider is a solid state one but even that depends. I would say maybe invest in a dolly but since yours has casters already their not much else you can do.

You could go the head and cab route but me personally I don't care for that type of set up I'd rather have the 1x12 combo.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Based on the mesa spec sheet the 1x12 is only 7lbs lighter than the 2x12 - 72lbs vs 79lbs. I think it's the amp itself, transformers etc adding the weight rather than the speakers. Plus in terms of the tone I prefer 2x12s vs 1x12s. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

I hope to get a laney cub 12 combo and put a neodymium speaker in it for my combo needz

that would only weigh 20 pounds!

bring out the big gunz and put neos in em is the plan

Comment

I'm 63, and been having some issues over the last couple of years with a sore lower back. I also have an upper back injury from an auto accident I had in my early 30's. I use Mesa Mark Series combos, 112s, and then a 112 Theile cab under them. It's certainly more portable, but the Mark III and Mark IV EVM combos are around 85 lbs.

Here's some ideas....

You might be able to get a head shell from Mesa. Call them.

Get a Roadie. You might have a friend willing to help you out. One of my friends roadied for me. Eventually, I taught him how to set up and run the PA, and then the lights, and then he became so valuable to the entire band that we decided to pay him an equal share. Worth every dime. And the rule was, everybody helps load in, everybody helps load out, nobody leaves until all the gear is loaded, and everybody helps each other.

You won't like my last suggestion...and that is, get yourself to a gym. Start working out and get stronger. Take care of yourself. Drop those extra pounds. Quit smoking. Eat right. This isn't a BAND thing--this is about your LIFE. You're in it for the long haul. You'll be surprised how much easier your gigs will be on your body.

So do as I say and not as I do, lol! (Actually I have been working out for the last few months.)

You can do it.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

get a folding trolley.
            Apart from that, i reckon Boogie Bill has nailed it.
            I am quite happy dragging my twin reverb to gigs and im in my 40s. I plan on dragging it around for a lot longer still.
            Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-17-2014, 03:09 AM.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Just one thought aside from what these more experienced guys have had to say. Whilst going with the head/cab option might not save much weight in the individual component, the size and consequent change in weight distribution may well make it far easier to manoeuver in an out of cars, buildings and so on. That may well make a far bigger difference to what you're doing than you might imagine.
              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I also use a back brace and rocknroller for transport

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
                  Just one thought aside from what these more experienced guys have had to say. Whilst going with the head/cab option might not save much weight in the individual component, the size and consequent change in weight distribution may well make it far easier to manoeuver in an out of cars, buildings and so on. That may well make a far bigger difference to what you're doing than you might imagine.
                  This is what I was thinking. My other gigging amp is an Avatar 45watt head with a 50lb 2x12 cab. Although 50lb still sounds like a lot it has two bar handles on each side so is much easier to carry. I really love the tone I'm getting with the Lonestar. It's taken a while to get it dialed in but it has an incredible tone. I like the suggestion about getting a head shell and converting the combo into a head. I have a great guitar tech in town who should be able to help. Also the suggestion about going to the gym is just an all around good idea, regardless. I do go swimming every other day, but need to do something more weight bearing.
                  I'll give Mesa a call, they are usually great to work with, and figure out what makes the most sense of either converting the combo into a head, trading in the combo for the head version, or just learning to better deal with lugging the combo around and getting to the gym more often. Thanks for the feedback folks.

Comment

I'm with Chris, whilst the combined weight of the separate head and cab would be very similar, you can carry them one at a time and if you get a folding trolley once down any stairs you should be fine.

Comment

Heavy Mesa amps strike again!! seriously anyone lift the Electra dyne up and down stairs?? killer

I would look for the head and get a lightweight cab if the weight is that big of an issue. I have an 88 pound Ampeg Vt-22 from the late 70s that I lug around.. Sucks but the tone is soo worth it. Although to be honest I'm picking up a traynor YCV80 2x12 tomorrow for rehearsals and travelling with as it is only 65 pounds. Still not light but won't leave my arms aching the next day
                      Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                      Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                      Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Just got off the phone to Mesa. Those guys are awesome to work with. They can provide a head cab with reverb tank pre-installed for about $362 + shipping. I just need to unscrew the top bolts holding the amp in the combo, pull it out and slide it into the new enclosure and re-attach the reverb jack. I can then use the head with my existing 2x12 Avatar Cab, or consider getting a matching Mesa cab at some point. As folks have pointed out, the total weight of head+cab=combo weight, however moving them around separately will be much easier. Now I have to convince the wife that this is for health reasons and doesn't count as getting a new amp

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
                          Just got off the phone to Mesa. Those guys are awesome to work with. They can provide a head cab with reverb tank pre-installed for about $362 + shipping. I just need to unscrew the top bolts holding the amp in the combo, pull it out and slide it into the new enclosure and re-attach the reverb jack. I can then use the head with my existing 2x12 Avatar Cab, or consider getting a matching Mesa cab at some point. As folks have pointed out, the total weight of head+cab=combo weight, however moving them around separately will be much easier. Now I have to convince the wife that this is for health reasons and doesn't count as getting a new amp
                          Congrats... sounds like a fun project !
                          Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                          Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                          Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

When you think of it in terms of chiropractor bills you'd come out ahead within a couple of visits. Would also leave me with the combo enclosure and celestion speakers to do something fun with or sell to make some money back on the cost of the head enclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
                              Why not ask them if they can make a matching front blanking plate so you can use the combo box as a matching cab?

Comment

Working...
                              X