Help with soldering a speaker connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with soldering a speaker connection

I had a mono/stereo jack plate installed on my new Mojotone 4x12 and planned on wiring with cabinet with Kimber Kable 4VS wire with faston connectors. Everything was going fine until I realized that the faston clips are too small for the lugs on the jack plate (the wires that come with it have wider connectors). I still prefer to use the Kimber Kable I have (as opposed to the wire that came with the jack plate) and assume that manipulating the faston clips in some way to get them to fit would not be a great idea. I'm considering removing the faston clips on one end just to solder them to the jack plate connections. Is there a particular wattage iron I should use for this purpose? I really won't be using it for anything else. The Kimber Kable has an aggregate wire size of 13awg. Here is the jack plate: http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Ja...ate-Double-1-4

Thanks!
    Fender Custom Shop 1965 Stratocaster Heavy Relic HSS Floyd Rose (JB/Cruz/Cruz)
    Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Reissue (CustomBuckers)
    Gibson Custom Crimson Byrdland Florentine ('57 Classics)
    Charvel San Dimas Koa (Custom 5/Quarter Pound)
    Gibson Custom SJ-200 Quilt 120th Anniversary
    Taylor Custom All-Koa PSGA
    Taylor Custom Wildwood CV 914ce
    Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Re: Help with soldering a speaker connection

A 40-50watt iron will work fine. Anything larger and you're emmitting a rather large EMF that could de-Gauss the speaker's magnet.
    ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

OK. I'm not really concerned with the speaker itself because the only part I will be soldering is the wire connected to the jack terminals; the speakers will still be connected with the faston clips. However, I don't want to risk damaging the circuit board the terminals are connected to. I don't want to use anything powerful enough to possibly damage that, while still using something powerful enough to make a good connection between the 13 gauge wire and the terminals.
      Fender Custom Shop 1965 Stratocaster Heavy Relic HSS Floyd Rose (JB/Cruz/Cruz)
      Gibson Custom 1959 Les Paul Reissue (CustomBuckers)
      Gibson Custom Crimson Byrdland Florentine ('57 Classics)
      Charvel San Dimas Koa (Custom 5/Quarter Pound)
      Gibson Custom SJ-200 Quilt 120th Anniversary
      Taylor Custom All-Koa PSGA
      Taylor Custom Wildwood CV 914ce
      Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Comment

Originally posted by gordon_39422 View Post
        A 40-50watt iron will work fine. Anything larger and you're emmitting a rather large EMF that could de-Gauss the speaker's magnet.
        Unless it's alnico, I doubt you'll have a real problem with that.

As far as the iron, hotter is usually better, because it heats fast, solders fast, so you're not heating other components. I don't think you'll have an issue, honestly.

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
        X