NAD Rig Day (last month!) - Green and Orange and very Sunn-y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD Rig Day (last month!) - Green and Orange and very Sunn-y

Finally completed the rig last month, been super busy with work and have not posted it yet. So here ya go!

Dirt Side: 2008 Electric Amp Innovations Master Volume 120, 1970s Sunn 4x12 (w/ original Transducer speakers)
    Clean Side: 2007 Orange Rockerverb 100, Orange PPC412 w/ V30s

The Electric is one mean as hell sounding amp - loud with a killer fuzzed out and pissed off gain!

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie II Wah, Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh, MXR Phase 90, T-Rex Tone Bug Reverb, Boss TU-2 Tuner, and the whole thing is switched with a Whirlwind ABY. For those extra heavy parts, I can switch both amps on and kick on the distortion on the Orange through an Orange footswitch.

I do plan on adding a Roland JC-120 2x12 for cleans only at some point, but right now I can really justify the expense!

Guitars: just the main ones, I have like 15 guitars - 1981 (Tobaccoburst) and 1982 (Red) MIJ Yamaha SBG500s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	orange and green.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	5832348

Name:	SBG500x2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	5832349
    Brian H. - Guitars, Orthodox Fuzz
    http://www.facebook.com/orthodoxfuzz (band)
    1981 & 1982 Yamaha SBG500
    2012 Ibanez AR325 Artist
    1977 Ibanez Les Paul Custom
    Gibson: Les Paul VM, 60s Tribute SG, Flying V
    Squier Vintage Mondified Strat
    Orange Rockerverb 100
    2 x 80s Peavey Butchers
    Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo

Re: NAD Rig Day (last month!) - Green and Orange and very Sunn-y

I think you need to trade that red Yamaha for a green one. Awesome rig. Let me know next time you're playing out. If I step outside, I'll probably be able to hear you.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I can't help it, but every time I see one of those Yamahas I think of 1981 Carlos Santana.
      All you need is a white bell bottom suit!

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Unfortunately, they only made the 1981-1986 SBG500 MIJ but USA only models in Red and Tobacco Burst. The SBG naming convention, starting in 1981 I believe, for all USA designated models had to be called SBG over the SG because Gibson got their panties in a wad - and I see why! Even the 500, which is the entry-level model for the the SG/SBG series, is one of the best guitars I've ever had my hands on. I shouldn't be saying this in public as I want to hoard them all lol, but the 500 or if you can find a 700 or 800 from 1981-1986 are maybe the best vintage Japanese guitar deal on the market, hands down - and I have a few of them (my 1977 Ibanez Les Paul is pretty sweet though, but not as good as the Yamaha guitars).

The 500 is a stripped down model not having the bling of her big sisters (fretboard inlays, headstock inlay, MOP binding) or the electronics and special features of them (push/pull coil-tap, brass sustain bar of the 2000 series which is essentially the Santana signature model, neck through like the 2000, 3000 models have, and maple cap, or extended color range.) In Japan, the 500, 700, and 800 series came in more colors like cherry sunburst, black, blue and maybe some others (I have not seen others, but they may have been made). They have a gorgeous kind of glitter looking blue that was Japan only and was used for the 700 and 800 series. The 500 also has an Alder cap as opposed to maple.

The secret sauce of the SBG500, 700, and 800 for the 81-86 models are the pickups. They don't use the Spinex manufactured pickups like the earlier ones or their high end ones used (at some point I believe Spinex was aquired by Maxon, not sure the lineage or chronology of that). Yamaha decided to make a special "high output humbucker" for the newly introduced model in 1981. I own tons of guitars with pickups from Gibson, Duncan, DiMarzio and others stock ones - they all sound great for sure but ones in my 500s are hands down my favorites. They have a volume change between the bridge and middle/neck setting on both of my guitars, but the cleans out of these things are just beautiful. Rich, dark, and just full bodied. They take dirt really well and play very nice with effects and different kinds of amps.

Name:	1535517_10152180512832165_2076475022_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	5776258
          Brian H. - Guitars, Orthodox Fuzz
          http://www.facebook.com/orthodoxfuzz (band)
          1981 & 1982 Yamaha SBG500
          2012 Ibanez AR325 Artist
          1977 Ibanez Les Paul Custom
          Gibson: Les Paul VM, 60s Tribute SG, Flying V
          Squier Vintage Mondified Strat
          Orange Rockerverb 100
          2 x 80s Peavey Butchers
          Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo

Comment

Killer Rig!! I can only imagine how Fuzzes sound through these
            Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
            Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
            Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Working...
            X