banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy to convert an open-back combo into a closed-back?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy to convert an open-back combo into a closed-back?

If I just measure the dimensions of the cavity on the back side and cut a piece of plywood to fit, then drill screw holes to match the existing screw holes on the amp, will this sound to the ears like a conniving closed-back combo?

Why would I want to do this, you ask? I've now got two experiences with two diferent combo amps thinking they were just ok on their own, then finding they sounded significantly better going through an external, closed back cab. The type of speakers were different btw combo and cab, and so I acknowledge that that is a big part of what is behind my favorable impression, but still, I believe the closed back vs open back design is a significant factor on its own.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Easy to convert an open-back combo into a closed-back?

im in Connecticut today actually

is this a tube combo? if so its a bad idea. you need the ventilation. you could close part of the cabinet but you want to leave plenty of room for air flow

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      im in Connecticut today actually

is this a tube combo? if so its a bad idea. you need the ventilation. you could close part of the cabinet but you want to leave plenty of room for air flow
      Ahhh, glad I asked. Yes, tube, not solid state.

"Welcome to great state of CT - enjoy your stay!"
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

my company has an office in Windsor so im out here about once a month

Comment

Typically closed back cabinets are measured and tuned to reinforce certain frequencies. Just slapping some plywood on the back of your cab may not get the sound difference you're hoping for.

What speakers were in the closed back cabinets that you liked? Speakers can dramatically change the sound of an amplifier.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Typically closed back cabinets are measured and tuned to reinforce certain frequencies. Just slapping some plywood on the back of your cab may not get the sound difference you're hoping for.

What speakers were in the closed back cabinets that you liked? Speakers can dramatically change the sound of an amplifier.
            Totally agreed. I had asked for input on the following question in a separate recent thread but I have not gotten a response yet: what speaker when installed in an open-back, sounds closest to a celestion vintage 30 installed in a closed back? The million dollar question!

Comment

Working...
            X