This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOT question: speaker choices that offset open-back combo tone loss

I've asked this question in other threads but not gotten a response. I've got some potential deals in the works to acquire either a used head version of an amp, or a used combo version of amp. I've found various open-back combos lacking tone-wise unless I plug them into a external closed back cab.

I really like idea of a combo version IF I can identify an aftermarket speaker I can place in the combo that approximates the sound of a Celestion Vintage 30 (or option B, a Celestion G12T-75) *in a closed back.* Need to know soon if there is a speaker that fits the bill, otherwise, I'm going to have to give up on the combo and pursue the head.

Even a response of "no such animal" would be helpful in putting this to bed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: HOT question: speaker choices that offset open-back combo tone loss

I don't think their is a speaker out their that will make a open back sound like a closed back. Just the way actual sound disperses is from how the cab is designed. Maybe you could mod it to be a closed back but even then thats still not guarantee you will like the sound.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
      I don't think their is a speaker out their that will make a open back sound like a closed back. Just the way actual sound disperses is from how the cab is designed. Maybe you could mod it to be a closed back but even then thats still not guarantee you will like the sound.
      Thank you
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Whats wrong with a V30 in an open backed cabinet? it';ll still sound like a V30.:

Get the guaranteed best price on Guitar Amplifier Cabinets like the Orange Amplifiers PPC Series PPC212OB 120W 2x12 Open-Back Guitar Speaker Cab at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free...

Open backed cabinets in general sound different than closed backs.there is no "tone loss", just a difference.I lifted this from some thread on TDPRI< and the guy who wrote it is correct;

"Assuming two identical speakers in two identical cabinets, one open back and one closed back, the open back cabinet will have a chimier, more open and complex sound, will spread the sound around the room a lot more, will have looser bass response (but lots of speakers are designed for this, so that doesn't mean you won't have any bass if you have the right speakers). The closed back cabinet will be tighter, punchier, "simpler" and less complex sounding, less "airy" sounding, and much more directional (less sound at the back and sides). If you want to sound like Angus Young, or the Ramones, for instance, that's a closed back cabinet sound. If you want to sound like Tom Petty, that's an open back cabinet sound for the most part.

To complicate this more, some speakers don't sound right in open back cabs, like the Celestion G12M Greenback, which has too small a magnet structure, the bass gets flubby and the breakup gets trashy (not in a good way) in open back cabs, but in a closed back 2x12 or 4x12 these speakers sound great. Conversely, some speakers don't sound great in closed back cabs. The Celestion Alnico Blue sounds much better in an open back cab - it has plenty of bass response either way, but it has more complexity and opennes and chime in the open back cab, it sounds "simpler" and "constricted" in a closed back cab."
        Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-26-2014, 07:49 PM.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
          Open backed cabinets in general sound different than closed backs.
          ^ you answered your own question, you know that don't you?

Comment

well, if you are looking for some speaker that sounds like a V30 in closed back cabinet but only in an open back cabinet, thats a tall order right there. Good luck with that.
            You'd have more luck going for a speaker that resembles a closed back sound in an open backed cabinet. Probably something like a EV12l I would imagine, but it isn't going to sound like a V30.
            That said, if you want a V30 sound in a open backed cabinet that sounds most like a v30 in a closed cabinet, just put the V30's in the open backed cabinet.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              there is no "tone loss", just a difference
              It's a big difference to my ears, however..
              And actually that "difference" is that the lack of a closed back provides nothing for the lower frequencies to reverb against and generate outwards from - so it is a true tone loss as far as the speaker is concerned.
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-26-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                Yeah, and my ears tell me it's BIG, SUCK BALLS difference, thank you very much.
                okay.
                maybe a V30 Clone that doesn't break up quite as much with a higher power handling, stiffer cone I guess.IDK.
                BTW, your ears are bucking the trend of some really really expensive open backed cabinets with V30's

Comment

Just go ahead and get a closed back extension cab with a v30.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                    Just go ahead and get a closed back extension cab with a v30.
                    Yep, thanks Rockstar216

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                      so it is a true tone loss as far as the speaker is concerned.
                      No it isn't. Its a "sound" loss maybe. If you play really heavy stuff, and you probably do, then you might coinsider it as a "loss", but the best tone amps in the world are open backed combos.
                      So, your going to get a combo with an extension closed back speaker then? Does it have a speaker out jack?Will it fit on top, or will you use it side-by-side?
                      Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-26-2014, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X